The Ref Stop

Wrong Kit

Chloe

At an FA cup women’s game a player turned up in the wrong kit. She wore the home kit rather than the away kit (shirts, shorts and socks were all wrong). What do you do in this situation?

The Ref Stop
Did this actually happen or is it a hypothetical question? Not that it matters, but keen to have a read of it 🙂
Haha yes it did last week, I didn’t let her play but I can’t find anything online about it. One ref has told me she could have borrowed a subs shirt but that wouldn’t address the socks and shorts issue

Common sense says they can’t play in the kit they’ve arrived in. But competition rules don’t specify that all players must wear the same kit. Just that the 2 teams must be distinguishable……

Just to play devils advocate 😬

But I’m sure there’s a boffin here who can find some form of text that clarifies it. I guess easy get out is colours are defined on the team sheet.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    540.6 KB · Views: 8
If she turned up with a slightly different kit, for example she had the previous season's shirt, I'd say you could probably just about manage it at grass roots. Not sure that extends to the FA Women's Cup though, it is the top level competition in the country so there has to be an expectation that clubs get it right.

But if she turns up in the home kit when the team are playing in the away kit there's no chance, she isn't playing.

This is one the the laws have left to comp rules. Most comp rules cover kit requirements extensively but if they don't, for me, just like with the laws of the the game we use common sense, what football in general and that specific game expects.

For case of OP, comps like FA cup start at rounds in/close to grassroots and then all the way up to rounds that usually only top tier clubs are involved. If comp rules don't cover it, what I would do depends on the 'prestige' of the comp as well as teams involved. If both teams are grassroots or close to it, I won't worry about socks and shorts (as long as no clash), and happy with any shade of the shirt the rest of the team is wearing. Further into the rounds, I won't be as flexible.

Last edited:
Apparently having just had a chat with a few lads up here she should of been allowed to play in a alternative shirt per FA Cup comp rules as a club in men’s comp was ordered to replay a qualifying game for ref not allowing it in similar circumstance one of the lads I was chatting to was on the replayed game.

Apparently having just had a chat with a few lads up here she should of been allowed to play in a alternative shirt per FA Cup comp rules as a club in men’s comp was ordered to replay a qualifying game for ref not allowing it in similar circumstance one of the lads I was chatting to was on the replayed game.
Hi, the rules only state that 2 teams need to be distinguishable and that no number change can occur during the game, apart from a blood injury or goalkeeper. There is nothing in the rules about individual kit.

Hi, the rules only state that 2 teams need to be distinguishable and that no number change can occur during the game, apart from a blood injury or goalkeeper. There is nothing in the rules about individual kit.
I can only go off the reason he was given for why he was on a replayed game FA ordered it be replayed due to the error.

Back