A&H

Wrong decision help !

Chrisp72

Always smiling
Adult game last night second v third bit of a tense game I knew both teams are vocal after past games with them both so knew I had to be on my game , the game went Ok there were always decisions there going to question even the most blatant fouls get questioned in the adult league I referee but nothing major from my view . Around 10 mins to go red plays long ball over the top yellow defender chasing jumps high on the turn using his arms to jump then I was convinced it hit his hand which slightly takes the ball a different direction I blow for handball ! this was to the bemusement of the yellow defenders one shouting “ he’s lost the plot “ a couple nearby reds didn’t say anything but I could tell they were surprised also ,I knew then I had made a mistake , I tried to put my case across coming over as though I had certainly seen the handball but I could see nobody was buying it and I could feel myself looking daft I then can’t wait for the game to end knowing the credibility I had I had probably just lost in a split second .
I froze to be honest I did think for a second of holding my hands up admitting to getting it wrong but did think if I did that I would look even more stupid and lose more match control .
Yes it certainly seems I messed up played on my mind all night any constructive advice would be certainly welcomed .

The Referee Store
We all see stuff that can fool our eyes, sh1t happens, you saw what you saw, it happens to the Big Boys too. Chin up, stay with your decision, you're the ref to make these calls and you've seen what you've thought you saw. FK, on you go, they'll make many many more mistakes than you in a game so don't worry about it!!

We all see stuff that can fool our eyes, sh1t happens, you saw what you saw, it happens to the Big Boys too. Chin up, stay with your decision, you're the ref to make these calls and you've seen what you've thought you saw. FK, on you go, they'll make many many more mistakes than you in a game so don't worry about it!!
Thanks for the kind words very much appreciated.

Adult game last night second v third bit of a tense game I knew both teams are vocal after past games with them both so knew I had to be on my game , the game went Ok there were always decisions there going to question even the most blatant fouls get questioned in the adult league I referee but nothing major from my view . Around 10 mins to go red plays long ball over the top yellow defender chasing jumps high on the turn using his arms to jump then I was convinced it hit his hand which slightly takes the ball a different direction I blow for handball ! this was to the bemusement of the yellow defenders one shouting “ he’s lost the plot “ a couple nearby reds didn’t say anything but I could tell they were surprised also ,I knew then I had made a mistake , I tried to put my case across coming over as though I had certainly seen the handball but I could see nobody was buying it and I could feel myself looking daft I then can’t wait for the game to end knowing the credibility I had I had probably just lost in a split second .
I froze to be honest I did think for a second of holding my hands up admitting to getting it wrong but did think if I did that I would look even more stupid and lose more match control .
Yes it certainly seems I messed up played on my mind all night any constructive advice would be certainly welcomed .
It's a harsh world in the middle. You can have a sound game for 85 minutes, drop an inconsequential clanger and feel like you've lost credibility. I usually openly and comically admit to such mistakes, but only after the next phase of play. Players won't hesitate to chastise the ref given the slightest opportunity to do so

I once listened to an eye scientist explain that we only see the central 1% of our central sight in effectively HD, the other 99% is filled in by the brain and is essentially a guess! I was happy with that analysis as it explained a lot and also the 19 yard FIFA optimum angle viewing distance perfectly...

Last edited:
I once listened to a eye scientist explain that we only see the central 1% of our central sight in effectively HD, the other 99% is filled in by the brain and is essentially a guess! I was happy with that analysis as it explained a lot and also the 19 yard FIFA optimum angle viewing distance perfectly...
You're right. Almost everything we see is predictive. TV pictures work on the same principle. In basic terms, a series of JPEGs separated by predictions based on algorithms (intelligent guessing)

I’ve seen a 7K image on a big HD TV, it felt better than your eyes could ever generate! I’ve slso seen a chip that could generate an image 40 times better than HD, it was explained to me that if you used the chip in a projector and shone it on a screen 100m square of let’s say a picture of a women’s face, you could boom in and pick out individual flakes of mascara!!! Invertly they were talking to a certain world power in using this for the opposite reason in drones. Effectively you could fly them at 50,000 feet out of the range of snipers and get the same image quality as now. A certain government had give them planning permission to build whatever they wanted as the potential revenues were immense!

Last edited:
It's a harsh world in the middle. You can have a sound game for 85 minutes, drop an inconsequential clanger and feel like you've lost credibility. I usually openly and comically admit to such mistakes, but only after the next phase of play. Players won't hesitate to chastise the ref given the slightest opportunity to do so

Ugh, had this last night. Corner came in and I had to move a bit more centrally to see as it was to the near post. Keeper makes a save, huge appeals for ball over the line. I said no. Had a player come up and chastise me for my 'bad positioning', and another a few minutes later bemoaning me that it was 'miles over the line'. I had to line them up and tell them it was a few minutes ago, move on and be quiet!

Later, gave that very same team two penalties, and I was right on top of both incidents. Did I get any praise for my 'fantastic positioning'? Did I heck! :mad:

On a slightly different note.....ever considered that the reason why “even the most blatant fouls get questioned” is because the referees don’t take a firm line and allow players to get away with it.
Thus it becomes the norm when it really should’ve been dealt with more effectively.

On a slightly different note.....ever considered that the reason why “even the most blatant fouls get questioned” is because the referees don’t take a firm line and allow players to get away with it.
Thus it becomes the norm when it really should’ve been dealt with more effectively.

I think this is the Nuneaton Sunday League; the discipline is dreadful. Two serious assaults on the league this season (that have been reported) and similar every year. The referees have gone on strike in the past.

I think this is the Nuneaton Sunday League; the discipline is dreadful. Two serious assaults on the league this season (that have been reported) and similar every year. The referees have gone on strike in the past.
Couldn’t they send them to Coventry?

Last edited:
possibly that’s a good point, also the mentality of the players had to be questioned .
As said before “ the league I referee in “ ..

👆😉

With u on this one, your credibility only lasts as long as your last decision.

First game incharge i gave a pen from 30yrds away and 22 players were gobsmacked I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

Refereed a kids game the other night well say kids u15’s some were bigger than me, first min of game gave a throw both lads said you’ve got that wrong ref in this instance I said my bad other way lads.

It’s very rare that u’ll get a chance to reverse a decision & I wouldn’t advise it either BUT what I would advise is being human & smiling if you know you have blatantly got something wrong hands up lads my bad looked like hand ball to me but stick with your decision.

Fine balancing act between showing your human & refereeing with authority, i as a player would rather a ref or a Lino hold there hands up if they’ve got it wrong and I don’t mean every other decision or all game just the clanger from time to time that even the old man and his dog can see you’ve got wrong, It shows a degree of empathy and that your not above making a mistake.

But I know that feeling only to well mate like when I gave offside from a goal kick after 10 mins, striker clean through on goal & you think you lost credibility try refereeing the rest of that game with a clear mind.

Players make mistakes all game your gonna make a couple yourself it’s inevitable.

I very rarely reversed decisions, (and only if the defending person it went against fesses up)... The more you bend to whinging players barracking you the more they will play on your frailty!! Give what you see, stand by your decision, drown out the blah, blah, blah and stand your ground!!

I’ve done this exact thing in the past. Stuck to my guns but simply apologised so the surrounding players could hear me. Usually on the lines of ‘I apologise if I did get that wrong but I have to stick with my decision’.

You’re only human and things happen quickly. in situations like that you can gauge reactions from players and you can tell you’ve made a mistake. I personally believe you’ll get a better response from apologising for the potential mistake rather than trying to blag something which you realise didn’t happen

Back