A&H

Women’s match in a couple of weeks

Bluenarch

Hi all

Got a middle for a local women’s game in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it. Just wondered though if there are any tips any of you may have on specific things to pick up on for the women’s game that I may not have come across so far? I’ve only done OA Sunday football really!

I’m guessing (from reading on here) that I might need to be a bit more thorough on jewellery checks, although I’m not checking for belly piercings 😂

The Referee Store
Treat it like any other game. From my experience it will be slower and less physical, and certainly less long balls. Generally speaking female players seem to be less willing to accept physical challenges, and will likely be appealing for a free kick for challenges you would let go in the men's game.

Of course that is generalising a bit, and I've refereed some women's games that have been very physical. I also know of one that ended with police called as CS spray deployed, so you can't pre-judge anything … :(

Check for metal hair grips etc. I am with Rusty on this they do have a lower tolerance to physical challenges and will appeal more but just ref it as any other game.

I find they do expect more free kicks, esp of the softer variety, on the flip side, I have not experienced much retaliation to tackles and a lot of the time they help each other back to their feet, I do find they want the game stopped a lot for minor injuries but as above, you can only do what you think is for the best
Technically, leaving aside strength and macho aggression, its a better level of football, they stop the ball, look up, know where they want to pass it, they are, for me, better trained, as opposed to standard guys football where it does sometimes seem the idea is just to charge and get the ball into the net by any means.

not in any way a reflection of anybody's personal ability and of course there will be exceptions but I do believe the gk's to be, well, not as reliable as the male versions, so, those kind of shots where in a mans game am always looking for the next passage in play, its worth making sure 100% that it is indeed a save.

Only ever did a couple, the first two were very girly girly, very poor standard, the final one was a team from Leeds who were excellent and would have given a few mens teams a run for their money...Wouldn't want to do many but they are improving massively and its becoming quite popular again....

I've done quite a few OA women's games at lesser levels and a handful in our 2nd tier (also a lot of women's futsal lower leagues).

Less dissent certainly. But I've still had to deal with sly off the ball aggro.
Overall less decisions to make so it stands out a mile if you get a simple decision wrong - concentrate and keep your ARs switched on.
Slower running typically so absolutely no excuse for poor positioning.

Midfield can be different, combined with the slower pace, you might get stuck, boxed in, or too close more than you are used to - get out of the way, nice diagonal.

Treat it like any other game
In my experience, the female of the species can be as, if not more opinionated than the men
Get on top of any Dissenting actions early and make the players aware what you will, and will not accept :)

Done one today..

Treated it like the men games which didn't seem to be an issue in the first half... second half was a different story.
As has been mentioned they will call for a lot more softer challenges, expect cards for softer challenges and, in my opinion, give far more dissent especially swearing, if they feel they're not getting the fouls they should be or your not paying attention to them.

Cautioned one for dissent which she crossed the line when she complained about a challenge and egged on by her clubs parents on the sideline, she argued more and even threw in a couple of swear words. Not enough for foul and abusive, but enough for me to say "thank you number 2, let's have your name to match your shirt number". And cautioned she was. She never spoke again.

But in all honesty, the laws of the game are no different for the women than the men. And treat it like such.

Just remember, women wear far more jewellery and under shorts etc than the men do.
Make sure jewellery are off and under garments are colour matched.

I have been reffing women's football here in Australia for seven years now. Fully agree with the comments above, but will add one extra: watch out for players owning up to things that men would never do. Ball goes out over goal line from a close clash - I gave a goal kick. "Corner ref! It came off her!" shouted the striker. I smiled and again pointed to goal kick, when the defender said: "It is a corner...came off me!" I have found the best way to deal with this is to say loudly, with a smile: "thank you number 4, very sporting, Corner kick!"

Though some younger players coming through are not being honest anymore.
I have found the ladies more honest than the gents but that's slightly dying.

Back