A&H

Why did you become a Referee?

I was sitting around at home being a bored 18 year old, at the start of the first football season when I wasn't eligible to play in the Youth League. I had decided not to join a men's team, because I had figured out I would end up being a sub for the worst team in the league. Figuring I needed another hobby, I picked up a guide to local clubs and organisations, saw a contact for the Referee's Association.

The thought of reffing had never crossed my mind - but I was on the phone two minutes later, and the next weekend I was down at the park running the line (in place of a club linesman) for the local development officer. From the moment I correctly called a "gains an advantage" offside from a crossbar deflection, and the captain of the local club told me to "get your f***ing glasses checked," I was hooked. (I already knew the LOTG, because I was the sort of nerd who, when he joins a football team as a player, goes to the library and gets out a book on the rules.)

The Referee Store
Lots of very good reasons...
  • Love football
  • Too old to play seriously now
  • Not available every weekend due to visiting elderly parents a long way from home
  • Love football
  • Failed at it as a 17 year old and I don't do failures very well
  • Need to keep fit and active
  • Enjoy being part of the local football scene
  • Love football
  • I really enjoy it
  • Would like to say that I wanted to put something back into the game but I'm afraid I'm more selfish than that
  • Have I said that I love football?

Back