A&H

Whistle restart

Chrisp72

Always smiling
Hi guys I think I may have seen some kind of thread with this on but couldn’t see it.
Does a restart from offside require a whistle ?
I’m thinking only a whistle restart on a free kick was When retreating a wall the required distance ?

The Referee Store
Nope, no need from offside. And you're right about the distance requirement.

Page 188 of the latest LOTG covers whistle use. :)

No. I'm sure others will enlighten us more, but only a minority of free kicks mandate a whistle. Such as when a wall is required etc

I’ve never blown for an offside re start, I only blow for a free kick to be taken when I’ve told the taker “on my whistle” & it’s in the final third around the box. (but if the taker said quick free kick pls referee I’d let them take it).

Whistle is used to start play after a stoppage, start of the half, substitution etc. Not needed for free kicks unless the referee says so.

As per the lotg, you only need to use your whistle for a restart when it's a kick-off or a penalty kick, you show a card, there has been an injured player, a player has asked the ten yards, or there has been a substution. Off-side offences are dealt with an IFK, so no need to blow your whistle unless one of the above happen (quite unlikely, tbh).

However, it can be a tool if you want to hurry the things up a little bit. Imagine the team restarting game are leading 2-0 and there's 20 minutes left. I bet they'll take these situations quite easily. With no urge to restart at all. Two short whistles accompanied with an evident hand gesture should convey the message that your patience is wearing thin. And this should be enough warning for them to know that the next restart they take this way will end up in a yellow card that will come to the surprise of no one.

Key: edited text.

Last edited:
These are the things you must use a whistle for (adding PK to Sam's list :) ).
1521683229353.png

Anything else, its up to you (for example for match control). But before you use the whilst for something that is not needed by lotg , remember
1521683448764.png

Last edited:
Back