The Ref Stop

Whistle for free kick restart

Iva617

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask about a term I heard recently called "ceremonial" free kick. Before, I thought that there needs to be a whistle to restart play after every single free kick, but now I'm reading that for quick free kicks they can take it quickly withoutawhistle. As am new, can somebody please confirm this?

The Ref Stop
Nah not needed every time. Definitely when everyone lines up/sets up for a cross or shot from a free kick, occasionally in other situations/scenarios depending on the circumstances.

Not too helpful perhaps as there's no defined guide, but learn to use your voice when a whistle isn't needed.

At ceremonial free kick situations you will often see the referee hold the whistle up, point to it and simultaneously explain to all players that this free kick will be taken ‘on my whistle’. This communication is particularly important for goal keepers who may need to prepare walls and defensive patterns, etc. Whether a situation is a ceremonial free kick is determined in consultation with the team awarded the free kick and it usually occurs in locations proximate to goal where there is a set play or direct shot opportunity. For other free kicks you can often (but not always) use your discretion and the type of restart depends on the type of foul, where on the field, whether there was an injury / card issued, and the temperature of the game. Sometimes, you may just need to take a bit of time out to calm everyone down and in these circumstances using a whistle restart can be helpful.

There are other threads going through the steps.

Also, note of caution - what you don’t want is any confusion about your role in a FK. For example, if half the players think it’s ceremonial but a goal is scored without the whistle, then the whole match will likely be a nightmare. A colleague even had a match replayed based on an incident like this captured on Veo last season - I reffed the replay and it changed the league winner!

If you go close to a free kick and ”interfere” then the expectation and smart refereeing is to take control and clearly/quickly make it ceremonial.

Conversely, and it’s a difficult skill, if there’s the chance of a quick one, then deliberately stay away and stay passive.

Point of interest - I think this will get easier for us with the new ”captains only approach.” We are typically minded to sprint in to situations to make sure there are no afters and show we are active. I think this is changing - we won’t be sprinting in as much as it brings us into contact with complaining players and makes it harder to enforce ”captains only”. The knock on effect will be more opportunities for quick free kicks but more delay/distance card decisions at grassroots. I think this is also somehow relected in how prem refs keep distance these days at foul scenarios.

Sorry for the essay. Been watching vids on this in training this week;)

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask about a term I heard recently called "ceremonial" free kick. Before, I thought that there needs to be a whistle to restart play after every single free kick, but now I'm reading that for quick free kicks they can take it quickly withoutawhistle. As am new, can somebody please confirm this?
LOTG 24/25 Practical Guidelines for Match Officials - Body Language, Communication and Whistle (Page 200-201)
Voice on occasions when a whistle is not required

LOTG 24/25 Practical Guidelines for Match Officials - Body Language, Communication and Whistle (Page 200-201)
Voice on occasions when a whistle is not required
Just seen that thank you so much for letting me know. Do you have any ideas for some of the things I could say to the team that's taking the free kick, when a whistle is not needed? What I mean by that is any phrases you would recommend?

Last edited:
There are other threads going through the steps.

Also, note of caution - what you don’t want is any confusion about your role in a FK. For example, if half the players think it’s ceremonial but a goal is scored without the whistle, then the whole match will likely be a nightmare. A colleague even had a match replayed based on an incident like this captured on Veo last season - I reffed the replay and it changed the league winner!

If you go close to a free kick and ”interfere” then the expectation and smart refereeing is to take control and clearly/quickly make it ceremonial.

Conversely, and it’s a difficult skill, if there’s the chance of a quick one, then deliberately stay away and stay passive.

Point of interest - I think this will get easier for us with the new ”captains only approach.” We are typically minded to sprint in to situations to make sure there are no afters and show we are active. I think this is changing - we won’t be sprinting in as much as it brings us into contact with complaining players and makes it harder to enforce ”captains only”. The knock on effect will be more opportunities for quick free kicks but more delay/distance card decisions at grassroots. I think this is also somehow relected in how prem refs keep distance these days at foul scenarios.

Sorry for the essay. Been watching vids on this in training this week;)
Really appreciate the detail thank you so much 🙌. Just wondering, what sort of stuff could I say to the team taking when letting the free kick go on without a whistle?

Easiest way is to not overthink it. 9 times out of 10 you instinctively know when you want to manage the restart with a whistle, and the other time one team will tell you 😂

Regarding no whistle restart FKs, no need to be complex “let’s go blues” “good to go” “when you’re ready” anything that works and demonstrates you’re actually still managing what’s happening.

Easiest way is to not overthink it. 9 times out of 10 you instinctively know when you want to manage the restart with a whistle, and the other time one team will tell you 😂

Regarding no whistle restart FKs, no need to be complex “let’s go blues” “good to go” “when you’re ready” anything that works and demonstrates you’re actually still managing what’s happening.

Don't use "when you're ready". Just in case they try and be smart and not be ready for ages. Then you've got an issue of potential time wasting and opposition moaning etc.

I shout "it's on you player/kicker" as I run away. Then when you've got to your position, you can start the "let's get moving" 'process' if needed.

You'll find what works for you though.

Don't use "when you're ready". Just in case they try and be smart and not be ready for ages. Then you've got an issue of potential time wasting and opposition moaning etc.

I shout "it's on you player/kicker" as I run away. Then when you've got to your position, you can start the "let's get moving" 'process' if needed.

You'll find what works for you though.
Fair point that, Wazz! 👍

If you are going to require them to wait, hold the whistle above your head while telling the player (or players) on the ball to wait for the whistle. That way everyone knows.

You really don’t need to say anything if you aren’t making it ceremonial. (Think about it—have you ever said anything or whistled for a FK after OS.)

Back