A&H

Which way were you playing again?

SM

The avuncular one
A little bit rusty yesterday after a weather related delay in getting back in the pitch. All going along well enough (although match sharpness a little lacking on a hill of a pitch). Free kick outside the box which is floating in. I give offside (ball was well cleared anyway). Sadly I have given offside against a defending player! My brain lost concentration after the half time break in extra time. Confused looks all around, I run off down the pitch thinking opps. Haven't done that in a little while.

The Referee Store
Never seen that one before super so well done!!!

Most unusual offside I've seen was at burton albion vs dagenham last weekend, burton player given offside (good decision) dagenham player then takes the IDFK from about 5 yards inside the burton half?!!! *insert confused face*

same here, it took me a good 5 minutes to tune in to which way each team was attacking, so when giving the first throw in of the game i actually shouted "blue ball" because i couldn't work out which arm to raise!

Never seen that one before super so well done!!!

Most unusual offside I've seen was at burton albion vs dagenham last weekend, burton player given offside (good decision) dagenham player then takes the IDFK from about 5 yards inside the burton half?!!! *insert confused face*
Years ago when I was at school, I have seen a penalty given for offside!

ummmm......ref (schoolteacher I think, not a 'proper' ref) blew his whistle, signaled offside (I was inside my own half by a yard and two defenders on the half way line).

Gobby little midfielder we had, had a go "Ref! He was in his own half! He can't be" - to be fair, he had been mouthing at the ref for most of the game, ref just looked at him and said 'It's a penalty!' and awarded it to his school. No amount of 'persuasion' from our teacher, or anyone got him to change his mind and, as we all know, the Ref is the one in control......... (Our keeper saved it BTW)

Probably the strangest incident I have ever seen or been involved with in the game.

I have seen offsides given from throw-ins and against players in their own halves on a number of occasions though through the years.

As a coach of 10 year olds a year or so ago, my kids got a throw - I had been coaching them to take throws quickly in the attacking 3rd which they did - winger quick throw to the striker, ref blows "Offside! Oh no! Sorry no offside from a throw is there? Play on!" All defenders stop on the whistle, my attacker looks up, takes it in the box, and buries it in the corner. Ref gives the goal!

As they were lining up for kick off I call him over "Ref, look, we all make mistakes, but I think you should take it back to the throw-in, all the defenders stopped playing when you blew."

"Thanks" He says, "But I got it wrong and you scored a perfectly legal goal, it stands"

I think it took us from 5 to 6-nil up and was largely academic for the result although I got some stick off the scorer's father for trying to chalk off his son's goal, and a couple of other parents 'mentioned' that it was a good goal, and ref was right to allow it.

Suffice to say, I did not take up the offer of coaching that team again (after the complaints I got after finishing 3rd in the nationals)

Last edited:
Reactions: SM
I've done that once before as well. Luckily the players all had a good chuckle at my expense and didn't hold it against me.

I made another mistake yesterday. My watch counts up, when asked how long left I added wrongly and had to call the player over and explain I had counted wrong!

Doh

Back