A&H

Which course

BMcE11

Hello,

I'm looking to book my son onto a refereeing course. We're in London and there are courses run by the London FA and also the Amateur FA. The London FA course is £140 and runs over 15.5 hrs over 3 dates (sept to Jan). The Amateur FA course is £135 and runs over 2 dates totalling 9 hours but the course dates take place in one week (this month) so getting the required matches out of the way sooner. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two courses or which one is better? He's 17 if that makes a difference and likely to be going to university next year to study sports management so looking to make this a regular thing now he's given up playing.

A&H International
My course was over two days, the first day was theory in the classroom and the second was more on the pitch and practical. I did feel slightly under prepared for my first game and majority has been learning on the job so I may lean towards recommending the longer course. Can't really help you on the differences and I'm guessing not many can as we all will have done either one or the other. For the sake of a fiver I would suggest the longer one so hopefully he's well prepared for his first game. Good luck.

Then I'm not sure how they've managed to make it 6 1/2 hours longer.
My CFA did the same by adding a 3rd day for a sort of recap/technical development session for questions/support etc. The expectation was that at least some of the 5 games got done between day 2 & 3.

Some CFA's add a "Next Steps" session to which parents of young learners are invited.
The curriculum is national but with some freedom for CFA's to adjust for local needs, e. g. more about Mini Soccer where that is prominent.

My course was over two days, the first day was theory in the classroom and the second was more on the pitch and practical. I did feel slightly under prepared for my first game and majority has been learning on the job so I may lean towards recommending the longer course. Can't really help you on the differences and I'm guessing not many can as we all will have done either one or the other. For the sake of a fiver I would suggest the longer one so hopefully he's well prepared for his first game. Good luck.

I don't think there is anything you can do on a course to prepare you for your first game to be fair. You'll always have that slightly under prepared feeling, especially if you're a youngster

Thanks so much for your replies. My query really was about whether the course offered by the amateur FA would be the equivalent of the London FA and that they'd lead to my son being able to referee the same type of matches. Sounds like they are the same. I just wouldn't want to spend all that money to find out I'd booked the wrong course.

Back