A&H

When going to games

Do you think you look more professional turning up in shirt and tie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Please See Question and Leave any response you may have.

Also what ages do you think its acceptable at!

I do Midland Junior Premier League and im contemplating it

The Referee Store
Yes it does look smarter - but for junior games, no way. At that level turn up in a smart tracksuit (like the new Nike one) and you'll look more than smart enough. If I was playing a youth match and the ref turned up in a tie I'd laugh at him.

Up to you but personally I, as a player, would think that you look quite pompous.

Personally, I wear sweatshirt/track suit for Junior League and local Senior Leagues. However, if I was involved with a higher standard of football (e.g. Welsh League) I'd wear smart trousers, shirt & tie. Welsh Prem, I'd be suit and tie .....but then I am an old fashioned, old fart!!

We are given a Federation polo shirt to wear, and told we should turn up in black trousers and our polo shirt. We also have 'uniform' jackets, all logoed. With three officials in the same 'uniform' pre- and post-match I do think it makes us look more professional and more like a team.

So, as to the question of should you wear tie? If you have a team, it's more important that you all wear the same or very similar.

At Contrib & Supply level, collar & tie is compulsory. Below that, I never do/did. FA badged tracksuit (Umbro) with matching tracksuit bottoms - looks more than professional enough and easily identifiable. No way was I ever turning up to that sort of game in a suit, regardless of changing facilities!

I
We are given a Federation polo shirt to wear, and told we should turn up in black trousers and our polo shirt. We also have 'uniform' jackets, all logoed. With three officials in the same 'uniform' pre- and post-match I do think it makes us look more professional and more like a team.

So, as to the question of should you wear tie? If you have a team, it's more important that you all wear the same or very similar.
I'm not disputing that what you've said looks smart, but I'm questioning whether it is necessary for youth football.

I

I'm not disputing that what you've said looks smart, but I'm questioning whether it is necessary for youth football.

Maybe, maybe not, but if we are assigned the game, and it is a Federation affiliated competition, that is what we have to wear. From youth through to senior.

Juniors don;t require a qualified referee, only a 'Club Based referee' (which is kind of semi-qualified with a very basic course and test) so we wouldn't wear it for those games, but then, we wouldn't be assigned to junior games either.

I know where you boys are coming from. Personally I think that when I turn up to a match I am a representative for the FA and for the league in which I am officiating. As such, for local OA games, its clean jeans and a shirt. For youth its a clean tracksuit and for cup games (unless advised otherwise) its a whistle and tie.

Contrib & Supply level - Suit/Shirt & Tie, if OA Saturday Football Tracksuit & same for Youth Football (Cup Finals being the exception)

Same as others here, local county league a tidy clean tack suit and any welsh league games, be they seniors or youth I go it a collar and tie. Some refs round here turn up in a scabby shirt not even tucked in at welsh league games and It gives the totally wrong impression.

Another 'old fart' here

County cup appointments/hearings etc, shirt & CFA tie is the order of the day every time, no matter what the age group

Most competitions will have their own 'rule' on this, but always remember the old saying

"You only get one chance to make a first impression"!

Back