A&H

When can an offside player interfere again?

farrell

Always wondered when I'm an AR, if a player is offside but the ball goes to the defender a few yards ahead of him, when can the offside attacker attempt to go and tackle the defender if he can at all?

The Referee Store
I guess that he can't challenge or tackle the defender as long as the defender retains control of the ball as he would still be coming from an offside position

As soon as the defender takes a touch that's not a deflection. A controlling touch can very rarely be described as a deflection.

That would depend on whether he was still offside or not, would it not, mr webb / mr bester

Haywain whether he's in an offside position is only relevant when his teammate last played/touched the ball; his position when he becomes active, i.e. is considered offside, is irrelevant to determining offside.

When he doesn't take advantage of his position anymore

Reactions: SM
Haywain whether he's in an offside position is only relevant when his teammate last played/touched the ball; his position when he becomes active, i.e. is considered offside, is irrelevant to determining offside.

I would respond to that if I truly understood it - are you actually addressing the o/p, mr bester. (Serious question)

I'm loving the inherent confusion in this thread

I'm with yacinho on this

Interesting question.
The laws say the offside player cannot challenge an opponent for the ball.
It provides no timescale or advice on when the player can start challenging for the ball again.
I think bester's answer is.... best. Once the defender has the ball under control the offside player can challenge him.

The laws say the offside player cannot challenge an opponent for the ball.
It provides no timescale or advice on when the player can start challenging for the ball again.
I think bester's answer is.... best. Once the defender has the ball under control the offside player can challenge him.

Surely no timescale is provided because, until a team-mate of the offside player touches or plays the ball again, then the original reason for the player being offside is still there and, since a player in an offside position can't challenge an opponent for the ball, the job's a good 'un

Why invent a 'rule' about opponent's taking two touches / getting the ball properly under control when there is an actual law to follow?

Last edited:
Interesting question this.

My take would be that as long as the attacker is making no effort to challenge for the ball (not even running towards it) when the defender makes a deliberate attempt to play the ball then he is free to get back involved.

This line seems the relevant one for me:

LOTG said:
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage

I don't think it is black and white though and depends on a lot of other factors.

Surely no timescale is provided because, until a team-mate of the offside player touches or plays the ball again, then the original reason for the player being offside is still there and, since a player in an offside position can't challenge an opponent for the ball, the job's a good 'un

Why invent a 'rule' about opponent's taking two touches / getting the ball properly under control when there is an actual law to follow?

You've invented a rule yourself. Where does LOTG say anything about the attacking team having to touch a ball again to "reset" the offside?
The defendng team could keep possession for ten minutes and then misplace a backpass to their keeper which the striker who was offside (ten mins ago) latches onto? Are you gonna call that offside?

I do agree that the 2 touch comment is a complete nonsense and should be disregarded by any new referees.

Back