A&H

what's the correct caution for handling outside the box?

RefereeLdk

Level 7 Referee
Hi, I'm coming up to my first full season as a referee and was just wondering what's the correct way of cautioning a keeper for handling outside the box, and also, do you give a penalty for it?

A&H International
I'm going to answer this with a question:

If an offence occurs outside the penalty area, where do you think the restart should be?

(The answer can be found in law 13)

For handball offences by the GK it can be no card, yellow card or red card.

(Answers in law 12 as to when handling offences by a player, including a GK, warrant disciplinary action).

I am going to also answer by asking a question. Your post is for a keeper, I assume you are ok with managing or making a decision if it was not a keeper. So what would be your answer if exact same handling was by a non-goal keeper? (and for this purpose let's say the keeper is out of position).

Outside of the area a goalkeeper is just like any other player.

I am going to also answer by asking a question. Your post is for a keeper, I assume you are ok with managing or making a decision if it was not a keeper. So what would be your answer if exact same handling was by a non-goal keeper? (and for this purpose let's say the keeper is out of position).

Outside of the area a goalkeeper is just like any other player.
i talking about the keeper, I've seen a few videos of referees sending the keeper off for handling outside the box

i talking about the keeper, I've seen a few videos of referees sending the keeper off for handling outside the box
And what I am talking about means the referee would have sent off in that exact scenario if the handling was by a player.

To be clear, to create the exact scenario, take a snapshot at that moment of the handling, then switch the goalkeeper with another defender. And it would still be a send off.

The point is, once outside of the area, if it is the goalkeeper or not would (should) not have had anything to do with the send off. He wasn't sent off because he was the goal keeper. He was sent off because he denied the opponents an obvious goal or goal scoring opportunity by an offence punishable by a free kick (handling to be specific).

Goal keeper handling outside of the box being red is a myth. Created by people seeing what you have seen and making an incorrect conclusion.

Being assessed last year home team losing 3 nil opposition striker played through by long ball over the top. Keeper comes outside of the box to challenge striker who tries to chip the keeper only for keeper to save it with both hands. So blew my whistle I went through the 3Ds & 1C. All were ticked so gave the only decision I could which was straight red card. Manager at the end of the game came into dressing room his comment to me was it was the 88th minute and we were losing 3 nil surely you could have given a yellow?????

Being assessed last year home team losing 3 nil opposition striker played through by long ball over the top. Keeper comes outside of the box to challenge striker who tries to chip the keeper only for keeper to save it with both hands. So blew my whistle I went through the 3Ds & 1C. All were ticked so gave the only decision I could which was straight red card. Manager at the end of the game came into dressing room his comment to me was it was the 88th minute and we were losing 3 nil surely you could have given a yellow?????
Well, yes, you could have but would have been totally wrong to do so 🤦🏻

Agreed. No referee wants to give red cards especially keepers unless absolutely necessary. As I am sure you would all expect assessor started debrief with KMIs all of which he supported. I wonder what he would have said if I had bottled it and gone yellow.

How would the manager feel if it had been a violent conduct incident?
Still a dismissal in law, still a suspension for the player . . .
And if had been the opposing goalkeeper who handled?

Back