A&H

What would you have done here?

farrell

I was playing today when our player was running towards goal with the ball with another player from the opposition a bit behind. They were 5 yards outside the box when our player with the ball tripped over his own feet, there was no contact between him and the defender. The ref gives a free kick but our player gets up immediately and says he tripped and it wasn't a foul. The opposition were all protesting.

Would you stick with your decision even though the player admitted he tripped and you know it's the right decision?

Or would you reverse the decision?

The Referee Store
IMO id probably apologise, advise them to do what they feel is right and just take it on the chin. These things happen and i think to stick to your guns and appear "arrogant" could be worse than just saying "im only human"

IMO id probably apologise, advise them to do what they feel is right and just take it on the chin. These things happen and i think to stick to your guns and appear "arrogant" could be worse than just saying "im only human"

It has nothing to do with appearing arrogant. The guidelines we were given were pretty straightforward here (at least in the Scottish FA, where I did some refereeing). Because: as a referee, we have no predisposed information as to what the relationship between those involved have. In this given scenario: What if the guy running in front is the brother of the guy behind. One of them is on an important limited contract. Chances are high that the brother would lie in order to avoid the player on contract to not getting in too much trouble with the club. I am not saying it is the right thing to do, but the referee always has some logic behind making a decision. If you allow for external input on decisions, where should one put the limit?

Edit: never reverse a decision based on player input, unless you or one of your team-members are 100% sure certain that you have made an incorrect decision.

It has nothing to do with appearing arrogant. The guidelines we were given were pretty straightforward here (at least in the Scottish FA, where I did some refereeing). Because: as a referee, we have no predisposed information as to what the relationship between those involved have. In this given scenario: What if the guy running in front is the brother of the guy behind. One of them is on an important limited contract. Chances are high that the brother would lie in order to avoid the player on contract to not getting in too much trouble with the club. I am not saying it is the right thing to do, but the referee always has some logic behind making a decision. If you allow for external input on decisions, where should one put the limit?

I'm going off what I've been advised to do by other referees in my area. They said why make it hard for yourself as all you do is make a rod for your own back. Your definitely right about the latter though and it may be best to leave it to them to decide what to do with it as you have blown for a reason, be it wrongly or rightly

I'm going off what I've been advised to do by other referees in my area. They said why make it hard for yourself as all you do is make a rod for your own back. Your definitely right about the latter though and it may be best to leave it to them to decide what to do with it as you have blown for a reason, be it wrongly or rightly

I agree very much, a referee is making it a lot harder on him/herself taking the arrogant stance. However, if I was to give a penalty in which both teams disagreed on my decision, I would offer my apologies, and go with your advice: tell the players to do what they feel is right.

Tricky one. There can certainly be benefits to taking the path of least resistance, but you should have been sure it was a foul when you blew the whistle and regardless of what players say about the incident, once you reverse your decision your match control is going to suffer. You are asking for trouble and potentially going to be mocked and questioned about every following decision until the game ends (and reminded of it every time you ref them again possibly!) A simple "this is what I saw, this is what happens next...." And stick to your guns. Better to live with an honest but unfortunately wrong decision than destroy your credibility and worse case scenario risk having to later caution or send off players if you lose control of the game.

I'd be interested to know what your ref did?

Also, running towards the box being chased by as defender - was it a potential DOGSO?

I have reversed a throw-in decision on the word of a player. A cross was hit hard and low across the penalty area, it appeared to travel behind the players running in, and went out for a throw on the far side. I signalled throw for the defending team, as did the NAR on that side. I was certainly 100% sure I had it right.

One attacker appealed, saying it came off a defender, the defender also said that it did 'skim my backside ref'.

"Thank you for your honesty number 4" and I change the signal to the other direction. AR looks at me a bit confused and a couple of protests from players further up the field, so a loud, clear "Defender says it came off him" sorted everyone out.

While it wasn't a particularly result-changing decision, I do think it earned a bit more respect from the players and coaches (it was the first time I had reffed either side) because I was big enough to accept the error. I didn't get any extra grief after it, but it was a very sporting match, and played in good spirit by both teams, and I do think that insisting on my first decision, when both the defender AND the forward know it was incorrect would have caused more problems for me in the end.

Such is the joy of refereeing! There is never a definitive answer that fits all situations but sometimes.... :)

I'd be interested to know what your ref did?

Also, running towards the box being chased by as defender - was it a potential DOGSO?

I have reversed a throw-in decision on the word of a player. A cross was hit hard and low across the penalty area, it appeared to travel behind the players running in, and went out for a throw on the far side. I signalled throw for the defending team, as did the NAR on that side. I was certainly 100% sure I had it right.

One attacker appealed, saying it came off a defender, the defender also said that it did 'skim my backside ref'.

"Thank you for your honesty number 4" and I change the signal to the other direction. AR looks at me a bit confused and a couple of protests from players further up the field, so a loud, clear "Defender says it came off him" sorted everyone out.

While it wasn't a particularly result-changing decision, I do think it earned a bit more respect from the players and coaches (it was the first time I had reffed either side) because I was big enough to accept the error. I didn't get any extra grief after it, but it was a very sporting match, and played in good spirit by both teams, and I do think that insisting on my first decision, when both the defender AND the forward know it was incorrect would have caused more problems for me in the end.

It wasn't DOGSO as there were several defenders in front of him.

The ref insisted it was a fould and gave the free kick.

Don't leave us in suspense! What was the game like after the decision? Did the ref get away with/sell it?

You know yourself if you are unsure and if so should possibly wait for player reaction, but this in itself can be a bad thing

I had an incident this week when there was a few players in the box and a defender in an attempt to clear the ball booted it upwards, another defender put up his hands above shoulder height and touched the ball with both hands. In my eyes a clear hand ball. Not one player on the pitch knew why I had blown for the penalty.

The responses I got were widespread of, he protected himself, it was self defence, no one claimed for it, there was only you that saw it.

At the end of the day I saw what I saw, a guy delibratly used his hands to stop the ball in the penaly area, no other choice.

The team who I gave the penalty against was winning 1-2 at the time and ending up losing 4-2.

I'm always for one to explain my decisions if asked at the end of a game, in my mind it was clear cut and I asked the guy when he came up to me afte the game if he deliberatly raised his
hands to stop the ball, and he said yes but still protested!!!!!!

Don't leave us in suspense! What was the game like after the decision? Did the ref get away with/sell it?

the game was fine afterwards but i thought it was very scrappy with shirt pulling and pushes in the back at corners, throw ins etc. The defending team moaned about the decision but accepted it quickly enoungh

And all is well that ends well. No harm done, match completed. Very interesting question you posed with lots of room for different interpretations.

Back