A&H

What would you do...

If you blew for an indirect free kick then fair enough, I can't see the assessor being bothered. Usually you'll spot the passback straight away and give it... My scenario was that you're a bit late to spot it and by the time you've realised he's released the ball and the attacker is on it before the defender.
I would say 99/100 this situation would not have occurred as you would have blown for it already, it was just to see if other people would have allowed the goal if the latter occurred

The Referee Store
If you blew for an indirect free kick then fair enough, I can't see the assessor being bothered. Usually you'll spot the passback straight away and give it... My scenario was that you're a bit late to spot it and by the time you've realised he's released the ball and the attacker is on it before the defender.
I would say 99/100 this situation would not have occurred as you would have blown for it already, it was just to see if other people would have allowed the goal if the latter occurred

As a former assessor, any referee that pulled back a goal to award a free kick can only receive a very poor mark. The way we assess in Australia, that's a failure.

Appropriate application of advantage is most definitely something assessors look for, and you will be marked down for not applying advantage when you should - as you would if you apply advantage when you shouldn't. For me, this could potentially overlap into 'knowledge of the laws' as well, as it would be potentially an error in law, not just an error in judgement.

The laws couldn't possibly be clearer on this. If stopping play is disadvantageous compared to allowing it to continue, then you apply advantage. There's no clearer example of this than when a goal has been scored.

Why do you think an assessor would be ok with you disallowing a perfectly legitimate goal and contrary to what the laws of the game state?
Why do you think assessors are opposed to advantage, or that advantage isn't an assessable - or important - part of the game?

Law 5 states:

allows play to continue when the team against which an offence has been committed will benefi t from such an advantage and penalises the original offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time

I'm sure you'll agree, there's no greater benefit than a goal, and denying that goal would directly contravene those instructions.

Back