A&H

What would you do ... !?!?

The Referee Store
Interesting. I still can't work out why that player was shown RC. the sub committed the offence.

I think it should have been a pen

I think he sent off the sub GK who prevented the goal but decided he wasn't going to get any where near him so did it from where he was standing. In terms off punishment you could easily sell the red card for denial of a goal by handball (only the goal keeper is allowed to use his hands, the substitute goal keeper could replace any player if brought on so I'd go with that). In terms of restart I'd go with penalty for my reasoning of the sending off

That would be an interesting misconduct report to write!!

Surly it should have been a pen. I can't understand the logic behind the IDFK

IDFK for the entry in to the field of play by the substitute without the referee's permission? Would only justify a caution though.

Player enters the FOP (which would have been a yellow & IDFK if he interferes) but then DOGSO by hand, which is a red.
-substitutes are under the same laws regarding disciplinary sanctions as players on the FOP, and can be sent off for any of the red card offences.

However the reason it isnt a pen:
it is "interference by an outside agent", who isnt part of live play at this point and therefore can't give away a penalty. If play is stopped by an outside agent, the correct restart is an IDFK from where the ball was contacted (blah blah blah.. "on the goal line if inside the goal area")

so i think by that logic he got it right?

Just saw this - even though it was a sub, as an outside agent shouldn't it be a drop ball? Difficult sell but seems to me to be right by law. Doesn't stop you giving red to the sub though.

Surely the restart must be a dropped ball, due to the interference with play by an outside agent, yes? The substitute would be considered an outside agent. If a substitute enters the field of play without permission, the referee must stop play (although not immediately, if the outside agent doesn't interfere with play), but in this case, the play WAS interfered with by the outside agent. At that moment, the referee should stop play. The outside agent is removed from the field of play and its immediate surroundings (and either cautioned or sent off, if a player or substitute), and then restart play with a dropped ball. The restart should take place in the position where the ball was when the match was stopped. Since it was stopped in the goal area, the referee drops the ball on the goal area line parallel to the goal at the point nearest to where the ball was when play was stopped. At least, that's how I see it specified in FIFA law...

EDIT: Whoops! I had it wrong. The referee gets it right in the video with the restart being an IDFK! If the person who interferes with play is a substitute, then here's what FIFA says:

FIFA Guidance on a substitute entering the field of play without permission

Substitute or substituted player
If a substitute or a substituted player enters the field of play without permission:
• the referee must stop play (although not immediately if the player in question does not interfere with play or if the advantage can be applied)
• the referee must caution him for unsporting behaviour
• the player must leave the field of play

If the referee stops play, it must be restarted with an indirect free kick
for the opposing team from the position of the ball when play was
stopped (see Law 13 – Position of Free Kick).

I was thinking it was more like the infamous Sunderland/Liverpool beach ball incident a few years back. That was an outside agent, and the restart should have been a dropped ball... My bad, folks.

So shouldn't the sub receive a yellow card for the above-stated reasons? A red card for DOGSO can only given, iirc, for committing an offence that would lead to a direct free kick. Whereas this led to an IDFK, it should have been a yellow for entering w/o the referee's permission.

The first offence is surely entering the FOP without permission - YC
Yes, I think the proper sequence would be to caution the sub who entered the field without permission, remove him/her from the field of play, then restart with an IDFK on the goal line, parallel to the goal line, nearest where the ball was when play was stopped. I'm pretty sure the caution can be the only sanction, since the person who came on the pitch is not a player (he is a substitute who entered without permission, and not a player). Other thoughts?

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

* denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

* denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

Well, there you go then! Looks like the referee had it right on all counts!

Back