A&H

What would you do?

Cheshire Ref

RefChat Addict
Hypothetical situation, what would you do??

For one reason or another both teams have decided a pre-arranged protest. The game kicks of, the ball moves 5 yards and all 22 players sit down and do nothing for 20 minutes. Just to be clear the ball is in play.

What do you do?

The Referee Store
Encourage them to play....after 5 mins, warn them all that they are showing a lack of respect for the game....after a further 5 mins, caution them all.....5 mins after that, 2nd cautions.....game abandoned.

Or maybe there isn’t anything you can realistically do.......

I think as long as the ball is in play, thats that, the countdown begins till half time?

I would then either go out for the 2nd half and see what happened, or, depending how I was weighing things up, I would not go out for the 2nd half and simply report to the league what happened in the first half

it would also be a great excuse to say I refereed the entire half from the centre circle with no complaints ?!

Erm... Sit down on the touchline to keep everyone in view? Not a lot you can do I guess. Just remember to get paid. :p

What do you do?
If there are remotely any safety/security issues (crowd going crazy, people on the field, likelihood of people on the field) then escalate it up via the home bench and abandon.
If everything is perfectly safe, then I put this in the same category as a team deliberately losing. You carry on and then put it in your report, fully expecting the teams to be sanctioned by the authorities.

If all players and benches are involved, even if there is political content, I don't think YCs all round are appropriate. I think that has to be left to the authorities. If it's only some players, then there have to be YCs.

Cant believe no one has suggested requesting thst someone bring you a cup of tea out.

For one reason or another both teams have decided a pre-arranged protest. The game kicks of, the ball moves 5 yards and all 22 players sit down and do nothing for 20 minutes. Just to be clear the ball is in play.

What do you do?
If it is sunny, ask for a chair.
If it is raining - abandon the match, charge both teams for being at fault. Get full match fee and have fish & chips on the way home!

In Law, I don't think you can do anything. The ball is in play, nobody is injured, so it is play on. However, the FA may wish to charge for bringing the game into disrepute. That is the CFA decision, not yours.

What do you do?

Why do you ask?

I’d wander over to a few of the players and ask them what it was all about. Then I’d find out how long it was going to go on for.

If I discovered it was going to carry on like this all game, I’d bog off home. Yes, the match fee is a nice bit of beer money, but t I referee because I enjoy it, and I enjoy the exercise. My time is to precious (to me) to waste standing around a football pitch for 90 minutes.

Last edited:
Back