A&H

What to watch at BRC...

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Hi there,

Just a quick question, booked a BRC for a couple of weeks time and really looking forward to it. Been reading a lot of tips and bits on here (great forum by the way), to try and understand the common things that trouble new refs.

Just two questions....
1. Is there anything particularly important I need to pay attention to at the BRC (I understand it's all important, but wondered if there are any bits that need extra attention)
2. What are the most common mistakes made by new referees?

Thanks in advance!

The Referee Store
1) The BRC is designed to ensure you understand all 17 laws of the game, before they let you loose on the field. Understanding those laws is important, but i'd say the main element is looking at the difference between Careless, Reckless & Excessive, as that will define what action you take.
2) I'd say its difficult to define "mistakes" as every game is different. Being in the right position is important as is the ability to "sell" you decision. Man Management skills on the FOP also can take time to build up as well as being able to interpret the LOTG.

I'd say there is a major reason that the LOTG booklet has a bigger section on interpretation than the laws themselves.

Thanks for that, good advice.:D

My day-to-day job involves managing a team of (often highly strung and emotional) 25 or so staff so I'm hoping many of the skills will transfer across.:confused:

I certainly understand there are many ways to skin a cat - sometimes a smash with a sledgehammer, sometimes a tickle with a feather so hopefully this will give me a head start.:hmmm:

Really looking forward to getting going and learning a new depth to the game.

Any ideas how soon after completion of the initial BRC I would get my first appointment, or what type of game that's likely to be I.e. OA? :)

I have a job that requires similar man management skills and it definitely helps.

On the course they should introduce you to appointments secretaries. Once done you speak to them for the leagues you want to ref in and they will appoint you.

There is no fixed "path" as to doing junior or straight into OA football. I was told I'd passed my course on the Wednesday evening and on the Saturday I did my first game, which was an OA game. The only junior football I do is ref my son's under 7's team Sunday morning.

Welcome to the wonderful and at times weird world of being a ref! What part of Cheshire are you from? I may be able to offer a little advice

Thanks for that, good advice.:D

My day-to-day job involves managing a team of (often highly strung and emotional) 25 or so staff so I'm hoping many of the skills will transfer across.:confused:

I certainly understand there are many ways to skin a cat - sometimes a smash with a sledgehammer, sometimes a tickle with a feather so hopefully this will give me a head start.:hmmm:

Really looking forward to getting going and learning a new depth to the game.

Any ideas how soon after completion of the initial BRC I would get my first appointment, or what type of game that's likely to be I.e. OA? :)

Never very well explained RE appts and many take months to get games.

Best thing to do is ring local leagues NOW with your course end date and ask for appointments from that date. No one gives you games, you have to ask for them. Absolutely call now and request games and you can call whoever you want. Junior, womens, open age, the choice is yours. Non right or wrong. I'd personally go straight to open age but its up to you

Good luck :)

Thanks for that @HertsFinest i'll be sure to do so soon.

I'm from Sandbach @oliver byron

How do you find Cheshire FA? Did it take long for you to get your first game after your BRC? Is there a glut or shortage of refs in Cheshire?

Sorry for all the questions! :confused:

Back