A&H

What is national CORE and how long is it?

Hazzy

Grassroots Referee
As the title suggests, does anyone know what national CORE is and how long it is?

A&H International
I personally know a number of referees on the National FA Core programme that are in their 40's. Not aware of any older than this but happy to be corected!
What is the difference between national fa core and country? And how long does national fa core last?

Difference between national FA Core is the content of national core. National core content is standardised throughout the regions where as county FA content will vary by content.
With FA Core you are assigned a coach who will come and watch 3 games, independently of the observer process. They often come when there is an observer to support you. County may do something like this but there is no guarantee of it.
There is no definitive time line. Each year they retain and release referees from the group so unless you just aren't showing up or engaging with the process and behave properly if accepted you can expect to be in the program for a year Usually the last event is retention that is ran like a promotion assessment day.

There will be X4 CPD days and X3 coaching visits but you should utilise your coach to talk about all your games

Last edited:
Difference between national FA Core is the content of national core. National core content is standardised throughout the regions where as county FA content will vary by content.
With FA Core you are assigned a coach who will come and watch 3 games, independently of the observer process. They often come when there is an observer to support you. County may do something like this but there is no guarantee of it.
There is no definitive time line. Each year they retain and release referees from the group so unless you just aren't showing up or engaging with the process and behave properly if accepted you can expect to be in the program for a year Usually the last event is retention that is ran like a promotion assessment day.

There will be X4 CPD days and X3 coaching visits but you should utilise your coach to talk about all your games
Part of the core trials is a section on Clip Analysis and a LOTG exam. I’ve studied the LOTG and am going through all the IFAB Q&As. I have a couple of Qs:

1) How best do you advise to prepare for the clip analysis? What does this involve?

2) Any other resources you recommend other than IFAB q&as to test knowledge?

Part of the core trials is a section on Clip Analysis and a LOTG exam. I’ve studied the LOTG and am going through all the IFAB Q&As. I have a couple of Qs:

1) How best do you advise to prepare for the clip analysis? What does this involve?

2) Any other resources you recommend other than IFAB q&as to test knowledge?
1) it involves watching a clip of an incident twice and then having to write down outcomes. The core retention version was restart, sanction and rationale for 10 clips.

2) No, there is no substitute for the laws and (decent) online resources are scarce imo.

1) it involves watching a clip of an incident twice and then having to write down outcomes. The core retention version was restart, sanction and rationale for 10 clips.

2) No, there is no substitute for the laws and (decent) online resources are scarce imo.
Thank you! Final q, any resource for testing oneself on clips? I really appreciate your replies you’ve been so helpful 🙏🏽

Thank you! Final q, any resource for testing oneself on clips? I really appreciate your replies you’ve been so helpful 🙏🏽
Difficult. I would guess you do this as par for the course when watching football anyway.

Best bet is to trawl through some threads on here that link to clips. Usually titled by the game.

My only advice is follow your instinct. Dont be clever and second guess.

Difficult. I would guess you do this as par for the course when watching football anyway.

Best bet is to trawl through some threads on here that link to clips. Usually titled by the game.

My only advice is follow your instinct. Dont be clever and second guess.

There aren't any online resources really for testing on clips. Be very wary of using anything on the internet as the correct answer given by the question writer may not be the same as what the FA would advise for that situation.

There aren't any online resources really for testing on clips. Be very wary of using anything on the internet as the correct answer given by the question writer may not be the same as what the FA would advise for that situation.
Good to know. Will follow my instinct and knowledge based on the LOTG then. Do you know if the LOTG assessment is multiple choice?

Good to know. Will follow my instinct and knowledge based on the LOTG then. Do you know if the LOTG assessment is multiple choice?
The FA seem to have a new strategy with LOTG assessments being largely multiple choice with the occasional open ended question asking for multiple answers, but nothing is guaranteed!

Back