A&H

What do you do to warm up?

CallumS

Mr Referee
Level 7 Referee
I never know what to do when warming up. I know it sounds stupid but I always feel like an idiot running about on my own when people are watching.

I tend to run between the goal and usually a nearby tree several times and then do some stretches.

What do you do?

The Referee Store
do a lap of the pitch. then start with gentle stretches from feet to legs, hips, chest, arms. Them do some shuttles from side to to pen line of a mix of knees, heels, open and close gate, side stepping, back running, grapevine etc. 2 of each!! 2 full width of side to 18 @10% jog, pen to 6 25%. 6 to 6 50%, 6 to touch 100%, then when returning at 50, 100, 50, 25 and walk it back in.

Was sent this by an academy ....

Stages of a warm-up

A minimum warm-up should include three main stages:

1. General warm-up (5 minutes) A gentle and constant paced jog (three laps of the pitch) to get the heart rate up and blood flowing around the body.

2. Dynamic stretching (5 minutes) Dynamic stretching is essentially stretching on the move, to replicate the types of movement that we make in matches.

3. Specific warm-up (5 minutes) The final part of the warm-up should prepare you for ‘match speed’ activity. This should involve some sprinting at maximum effort, and raise your heart rate to approximately 85–90% of its maximum.

Dynamic stretching

The following is the standard dynamic warm-up stretches used at Supply, Contrib and higher levels. Dynamic stretching should be done between the touchline and the edge of the penalty area (or equivalent distance). Repeat each exercise twice, and always jog back to the touchline after each exercise.

1. “High Knees” — bring your knees up to approximately waist height whilst moving forward.

2. “Bum Kicks” — bring your heals up and try and touch your back-side whilst moving forward.

3. “Side Steps” (crabbing) — move sideways towards the edge of the penalty area by extending your ‘field side’ leg to the side and bringing your outside leg in to meet it in a “side–together–side–together movement”. Jog back to the goal line and repeat, using your other leg as the lead leg. Jog back to the goal line.

4. “Backwards Jogging” — jog backwards to the edge of the penalty area.

5. “Skipping” — skip to the edge of the penalty area, bringing first your left knee and then your right across your body, still with a high knee lift.

6. “Hurdle Walk 1” (“in to out”, also known as “over the gate”) — jog a few paces, stop, raise your right knee and rotate it outwards in a wide, sweeping movement. Jog a few paces, stop and raise your left knee, rotating it outwards in a wide, sweeping movement. Keep repeating this movement until you reach the edge of the penalty area.

7. “Hurdle Walk 2” (“out to in”; also known as “open the gate”) — jog a few paces, stop, raise your right knee and sweep it from outside to in. Jog a few paces, stop and raise your left knee, rotate it inwards in a wide, sweeping movement. Keep repeating this movement until you reach the edge of the penalty area.

8. “Grapevine” — move sideways towards the edge of the penalty area by crossing your back leg in front of your leading leg. Jog back to the touchline. Repeat using your other leg as the cross over leg.

9. “Hamstring Walk” — jog a few paces, stop and complete the hamstring stretch. Hold the stretch for a count of three. Jog forwards a few paces and repeat the hamstring stretch on your other leg, holding the stretch for a count of three. Keep repeating the exercise until your reach the edge of the penalty area.

Reactions: SM
A jog to start with, it should be about 1 lap of the pitch at about 70%, then work your way from your feet up doing dynamic stretches where possible:

Ankle rotations (make sure your foot is off the ground when doing this)

Then calf walks or alternatively press up position and bed each leg alternating as though you are walking the rest one leg on the other and push your backside out (should stretch your calf)

Then groins - feet about shoulder width apart and lean towards one side with your hips and force your upper body in the other direction, it should stretch your groin out. Then repeat but the other way.

I then do my lower back because I have had problems with it in the past but You should do any other stretches that you have to do.

Finally you should end with some high intensity sprints over about 20m starting at about 50% then 75% then as fast as you can.

This should be done as close to KO as possible for maximum effect.

Alternatively you can stand holding one goal post 5 mins before KO having your last fag then you're good to go ;)
I know far too many refs that choose the latter :)

At the risk of sounding very new age, I tend to do a lot of yoga stretching. Quite often at home I'll do some stretching, then when I arrive even more. I then do some gentle jogging to get the heart rate up a little. But personally I never do loads. I've found my performance better when doing much more stretching. I'm not sure if this is scientifically correct, but with th addidas speed cell data I'm sprinting for longer distances for longer periods of time. I also find my recovery much better. If I warm up with lots of jogging and running I find I have much tighter muscles the next day.

I guess it's what works for you personally more than anything else.

I should caveat this by saying sometimes I do feel a bit of a plank doing some of the stretching, however I tend to do my warm up as far away from the teams and spectators as possible for this reason. It does put me in a better mental state as well. Again very new age, but it leaves me feeling happier, which is like a clean slate to then move into a serious mindset. In the past I've often gone into games VERY tense worrying about what may happen etc. again. It's what works for you personally.

Back