A&H

What a Match!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Owens

Token Colonial
Level 3 Referee
This is why I prefer being an AR...

I had a quarter-final match last night in the our local second-division men's league and it was pretty good for the first half and even the first 30 minutes of the second half but, as is always the way, the losing team decied to go out with a bang in the last 15. Of six cautions issued to this one team in the match, 5 were issued within 15 minutes of full time. Two players received two cautions in the match and had to walk - one for dissent (36'th minute, he had a go at me about being inexperienced after I had called him on a foul) and USB (75th minute after literally just charging his opponent in the corner and knocking him down, shoulder to chest); another for USB (lacing his opponent with profanities after his opponent said "I'm not going to get that" when the ball was launched over the goal line for a goal kick) and the other for Dissent (after he received the caution, he turned his profanity towards me) both in minute 76. After being sent off, he all but refused to leave and only actually left the area surrounding the FOP after having a subsequent go at me and my threatening to end the match right then. He set the match back by about 5 minutes and has had a second report written about his conduct. In the same incident, another of the team's players went nuts after I sent off the team's second player in one minute - he earned himself a caution for dissent as well. Finally, in the 90th minute (during added time), another of that same team's players decided to take a player out at the legs by bending over at the waist and hoisting him over his back. I was generous with a yellow but the other team didn't complain too much... After that, I was told by players on both teams that I had done a good job handling it and that they believed had I been a bit harder on the players in the first half and early in the second and brought the book out once or twice earlier, most of it could have been avoided - which I will accept to a certain point as the temperatures rose slowly over the whole thing - but I believe that the team were just going to go out with a bang and by having 2 players sent off, could use the referee as an excuse for having lost the match instead of what was, frankly, substandard play. But crickey, what a match!

The Referee Store
Sounds like you handled it well so well done for that, however I would say that listen to what they said about using sanctions earlier. Also, learning about temperature will come with more experience,if a game is starting to heat up, there is no advantage to be had anywhere, pull everything back, and even give soft fouls to regain control. You could even go as far as practically finding a yellow to show you are willing to use them.

However, that advice is for the future, it sounds like you handled it well but there are things to be taken from the game with which you can implement in the future, well done though :).

Thanks Greg. As I said, there was really nothing in the first half and the temparatures didn't flair up until the 75th minute (all but one booking occured in the last quarter of an hour and for good reason). It was almost a sudden flash-bang and I can assure you that I was on the alert (as it is knock-out round) for anything that could flash it up. It turns out that it was just one of those "we're down by four goals, we've got fifteen minutes left in our season, let's go out with a bang." So they did. It calmed right down after I sent the second player off for receiving his second yellow as they all found out that I was more than willing to send more off and am not one of those "well, we've already sent one off today, let's keep another on" referees. Ultimately, I am fairly happy with my performance.

The one place that I could have clamped down was on a bit of a strong tackle from behind by a player on the losing team at around 65 minutes. I could've cautioned the player as it was borderline reckless but, as I said, at that point temperatures weren't flairing, it was a 4-0 game in favor of the team fouled and the team were happy just getting a free kick. A point of note here is that I didn't have any Assistant Referees so it is possible that something will have happened behind my back to light it up. But how does one fix that whilst one is alone?

I had a similar game on Saturday and I made the fatal mistake of not getting the book out except for 1 rekless challenge. Had opportunity to caution a few and told players to stop the chelp. Told a coach also to stop. And after the game the losing teams number 9 said as I walked past "poor that ref" to which I replied so was your game bud. Then the coach came to see me as said it wasn't a penalty and the first goal was offside. The home coach said I did well but it can really knock your confidence. Had a game the following day gave 3 cautions for lip and it all stopped. I won't make that mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back