A&H

Weather Stops Play

Anthony

Level 5 Referee
On Saturday I had to stop play due to the high wind and horizontal rain. The home side had taken advantage of the wind by collecting a GK and kicking it straight back into the goal. They wanted to stay out but I said I could not see clearly when trying to give decisions heading into the wind and rain. We ended up staying off for 15 minutes. I do not recall ever being so wet. I even had puddles in my boots. To top it all the showers in the clubhouse (shack) were cold.

Anyone else had to suspend play before?

The Referee Store
I abandoned twice last season for high wind and rain/hail starting after the game had gotten underway.

Once the ball won't consistently stay still when placed on the ground and you have fast flying hail hitting you in the eye, game over. Thank you and good night.

It was kind of funny watching a goal keeper place the ball and then have to run after it when it blew away. Like benny hill!

I nearly had to stop a game the other week. It was hammering down, and the reds were dominating. I wasn't enjoying it as was soaked, then the greens mounted an attacked for the first time in about 10 minutes and due to the direction of the rain you literally couldn't see a thing! Fortunately it eased off so I didn't have to take them off. I was soaked by the end, last minute there was a break away and sprinting up field my shorts started to fall down as they were so soaked in water! I managed to yank them up and blew up for the end! I didn't want to risk that happening again haha.

Last edited:
Back