A&H

Watches

The Referee Store
Yes, it is a very nice piece of equipment! Very easy to use, and also doesn't let you forget about stopping it! The only gripe that I have with it, is that you have to hold the buttons down for approximately 0.5-1 seconds. However overall it is a really good watch! Very easy to set the match timings on too!

I was recently told by an assesor to always wear two watches even if you only use one of them. An assesor will always expect you to wear two watches.

I was recently told by an assesor to always wear two watches even if you only use one of them. An assesor will always expect you to wear two watches.
Not true. Doesn't bother me in the slightest if a referee only wears one watch. As long as his timekeeping is good then I see no need to wear 2

Wearing 2 watches is simply a precautionary measure, incase one watch stops.

Many referees that work with assistants + 4th man only wear 1. Rob Styles only usually wore one.

It is precautionary to wear two but it is also beneficial: you can use one to stop time when major stoppages happen and keep the other running. At 45 on the one, you'll know how much time is to be added on. However you can now get handy watches from both Casio and Adidas at least that are made for referees and have functions to count both match time and stop time and will vibrate at both game time and played time 45 minutes. You'll have to put down 100 pound to get one but could be worth it if you're making a major promotion soon.

I use one that has a countdown timer that when it reaches zero starts counting up again. I set this to 45 mins and let it run. My other watch I use a stopwatch on and start and stop this for stoppages. When the countdown one beeps to me I have a look at what stoppage time there is and let the countdown one count up to the amount of stoppage time. It works for me.

Yeah, that works perfectly fine. It's just a question of going from two watches down to one which is actually quite nice to do.

Not quite on topic, but just as we are discussing stoppage time, according the Graham Poll, on average only 47mins of football is played in a match.

I wore a countdown timer watch in my first game, but it was a bitterly cold day and I was wearing a short sleeved shirt...as I rubbed my hands to warm them up I heard a beep and my watch had restarted itself! Fortunately I had made a note of the kickoff time so I was able to solve the problem fairly easily. I did spend the next few minutes making sure that I had correctly worked out what 35 minutes (u12 game) on from 13.47 would be!

Now I tend to wear a countdown timer on my right wrist so I know when I'm getting close to the end of the half, and a stopwatch on the left. Stopwatch keeps running throughout, and I use it to time cautions, goals, etc. Countdown timer gets stopped/started at substitutions, injuries and when the keeper has to run a few hundred metres to get the ball back!

Now, you might all think I'm sad doing this (because I do!) but this is what it has come to when you are bored on a Thursday night! Anyway, been watching the Basel v Chelsea game. Around 3 mins in, I looked at this thread, and thought we could put it into action! So, from 5 mins in, till half time, I stopped my watch every time the ball stopped: throw in; corner; free kick; goal kick; anything really. I stopped my watch when the ball went out of play or the game was stopped, and started it when the ball came back into play, e.g. when the kick was taken. Now, there were no injuries, and one goal. So, out of the 40 mins that I did this for (missed the first 5 mins as I said), at half time my watch said 26 minutes. Now, give or take a minute because I can't always tell when a goal kick has actually been taken, for example, because a replay could've been played over it being taken. For the half, there was 1 minute of added time, so out of 41 minutes, only 26ish have been actual football been played. Now, I know this is sad, but at least we know now!

Now, you might all think I'm sad doing this (because I do!) but this is what it has come to when you are bored on a Thursday night! Anyway, been watching the Basel v Chelsea game. Around 3 mins in, I looked at this thread, and thought we could put it into action! So, from 5 mins in, till half time, I stopped my watch every time the ball stopped: throw in; corner; free kick; goal kick; anything really. I stopped my watch when the ball went out of play or the game was stopped, and started it when the ball came back into play, e.g. when the kick was taken. Now, there were no injuries, and one goal. So, out of the 40 mins that I did this for (missed the first 5 mins as I said), at half time my watch said 26 minutes. Now, give or take a minute because I can't always tell when a goal kick has actually been taken, for example, because a replay could've been played over it being taken. For the half, there was 1 minute of added time, so out of 41 minutes, only 26ish have been actual football been played. Now, I know this is sad, but at least we know now!
Fair play! I guess there is some truth to what Poll was saying then. Remarkable really, and to think that managers complain that you player 4 instead of 3 minutes for example!

I consider people to be playing football when the ball goes out for a throw in unless there's a fairly long break for a ball. The players are still josteling and jokeying for position and, for me, it's as good as the ball being in play.

Back