A&H

Was I correct?

Luke Levy

Level 7 Referee
Attacking player is running after the last defender, chasing the ball. The defender slides and knocks the ball towards his goalkeeper who unfortunately wasn't in the best position. The goalkeeper dived and parried the ball away with one hand to prevent the ball entering the goal.

I gave an IDFK and the keeper a yellow card. I got a lot of resistance from the sidelines saying that the goalkeeper didn't pick the ball up but I believe that the goalkeeper still handled the ball (I think handling includes parrying and holding).

Was I correct in my decision?

The Referee Store
The defender slides and knocks the ball towards his goalkeeper who unfortunately wasn't in the best position. The goalkeeper dived and parried the ball away with one hand to prevent the ball entering the goal.

Intentional back pass?

Yes, he even called the keeper's name as he passed
If you deem it a deliberate back pass , played with the foot to the keeper, then it's the correct decision. (The kick).
For me, personally, sliding and playing the ball would be, potentially, a hard sell. One of those had to be there moments.

Last edited:
Was the goalie in his goal area. If so you can only give an indirect free kick. You can not caution goalkeeper for handling a deliberate pass inside his area. This was discussed at length last season on post I initiated on forum.

Reactions: SM
As stated above - idfk yes if you felt it was a back pass. Caution - no.

is DOGSO even possible in this situation where a keeper misses a pass back and dives on the ball ton stop it going in.

is DOGSO even possible in this situation where a keeper misses a pass back and dives on the ball ton stop it going in.
you cannot give a sending off to a keeper handling the ball in the penalty area (unless it's a second yellow)

That is what LOTG state. Handling a backpass in area can only be punished by IDFK. Can never be cautionable offence or red card for dogso even if prevening og.

Was the goalie in his goal area. If so you can only give an indirect free kick. You can not caution goalkeeper for handling a deliberate pass inside his area. This was discussed at length last season on post I initiated on forum.
What is the reasoning for this decision?
That is what LOTG state. Handling a backpass in area can only be punished by IDFK. Can never be cautionable offence or red card for dogso even if prevening og.
thank you , and everyone else, for this assistance

What is the reasoning for this decision?

thank you , and everyone else, for this assistance
The goalkeeper cannot be disciplined for using his hands to control the ball inside the penalty area. His actions be punished by the award of a free kick (indirect), but he cannot receive a disciplinary sanction for it.

The fact that he shouted the keeper's name when making the challenge certainly sounds like an intentional kick to the keeper - normally you'd lean fairly heavily towards the benefit of the doubt when it happens from a sliding challenge (not to say you can't give it, just that you'd want it to be really clear).

That part was correct, just echoing earlier comments that the LOTG specifically state that a keeper cannot be guilty of any handling related misconduct inside his own PA.

Back