A&H

Warning Players

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
Just interested to know from more experienced refs, how do you talk to players regarding warning them and particularly if they're on their "last chance" without using that phrase?

The Referee Store
Also, if am going to engage in anything like that, it be in passing

if am feeling need to make an official show of it, chances are he has done enough to depart proceedings

If you're warning about a possible PI caution, my preference is to focus on the previous fouls so that they see the pattern you're seeing: "As well as that one, you've had a couple of other fouls recently, over there and there, just be careful"

When a player doesn’t want to come for chat - or often when they do - I usually start with - “look this isn’t just for you, it’s for everyone else here” and that seems to disarm quite a few. I’m basically saying I don’t give a monkeys if you listen but the act of the “warning ceremony” is much more important. The player already knows why they are getting a warning!

Agree.. be attuned to the language the players use, not swearing obviously. that sounds like a teacher telling kids off.
Also agree, saying to a player that you want to see an improvement is asking for trouble and is asking for the response "so I am ref". And it does sound like something a schoolteacher would say.

Back