A&H

Villans v Blades

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee

Jump to 35 seconds, from the throw in,

Question 1, can you take a throw in from beyond the goal line???
Question 2, penalty or not?

The Referee Store
I wasn’t sure on the Goal line although it did sound wrong but I did think it was a penalty!

for me, its one of those, 10 year ago nobody would even consider a free kick/pen but in todays game as we know, getting the ball in itself has very little meaning
From the clip I saw, am not giving that and if watching a game, am not looking for it to be given but reluctantly I could understand it

There are other angles which show our defender didn't get the ball, his foot was through the attackers foot!! good spot by MO though!! As you say Miley, 15 years ago thats a brilliant tackle!!

As long as the ball re-enters the field of play where it left, which it appeared to, I can't see a problem there. No way I'm having that as a penalty though.

The law doesn't say the ball has to re-enter where it left, it says the player must "throw the ball [...] from the point where it left the field of play"

Having said that, referees routinely allow a margin of several yards away from the exact blade of grass where the ball left the field and if we're being consistent, that throw was within the margin of error that is regularly overlooked, it just looks rather odd because he's beyond the goal line.

Margin of error is one thing - taking it from a spot where it's impossible to comply with the law is quite another.

There's just so much inconsistency in these sorts of things. Man City on Saturday being told to retake a FK in their own half, probably fifteen yards from the offence (but level) - delay moving the ball then FK immediately passed back to where it could have been taken in the first place. Then FK for foul on keeper in the goal area, GK tried to take it from where he then was (outside the GA) and told to take it two yards into the GA. I'm afraid I was screaming "It doesn't matter!"

Then there's the stopped play nonsense - but I'll start a new thread on that in the Laws forum.

Back