A&H

View marks ?

The Referee Store
ask your appointments officer to tell you them, they will / should tell you if you ask

ask your appointments officer to tell you them, they will / should tell you if you ask
They should only tell you your average over a period of time, shouldn't be telling you individual marks awarded by clubs.

They should only tell you your average over a period of time, shouldn't be telling you individual marks awarded by clubs.
I don't see why they shouldn't be doing that. I've asked for marks from specific games this year and been told them

I don't see why they shouldn't be doing that. I've asked for marks from specific games this year and been told them
It has always been viewed as bad practice as some referees might factor it in the next time they referee a team that marked them low. The same reason why clubs shouldn't be given their individual sporting marks from referees.

It has always been viewed as bad practice as some referees might factor it in the next time they referee a team that marked them low. The same reason why clubs shouldn't be given their individual sporting marks from referees.

OK that's fair enough

I'm no expert so a genuine question - under the privacy laws are we not allowed to see any personal information another organisation/club/league have about us on file?

I'm no expert so a genuine question - under the privacy laws are we not allowed to see any personal information another organisation/club/league have about us on file?
that is, i believe, the rationale and if you ask for them you'll get them

Interesting question, hadn't considered that. Although that really relates to an organistion that holds your data, so would affect CFAs but perhaps not a league run by volunteers.

Interesting question, hadn't considered that. Although that really relates to an organistion that holds your data, so would affect CFAs but perhaps not a league run by volunteers.
Pretty certain a league would be classed as an organisation and almost certain if they are processing personal data bearing in mind they are compiling directories of clubs/club officials/players they are going to be bound by GDPR.

The exception being if releasing that information to an individual would also disclose another person's personal information, in which case it would most likely need their permission.

Whether this is the case for referee's marks or not would probably need a lawyer. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not convinced that club marks are personal data. In any case, I find the concept of team ratings to be silly and ridiculous anyway so I'll show myself out.

I'm not convinced that club marks are personal data. In any case, I find the concept of team ratings to be silly and ridiculous anyway so I'll show myself out.
Whereas I'm in the minority amongst Refs by broadly supporting the idea of 'Club Marks'
A Referee will gauge how well a game is Refereed according to different criteria to that of Clubs and it would be wrong to ignore the latter as the gap between Referees and the wider football community would only grow more cavernous without accounting for their rating. Yes, individual scores will fluctuate significantly depending on individual decisions and the outcome of the game, but 'club marks' are of real value when assessed over the course of an entire season IMHO
I know it's far from perfect. But so is the process of being assessed. Both are flawed and subject to subjectivity and luck to varying degrees; which is exactly why these flaws should be diluted by using as much information as possible to gauge performance

I don't know what my 'club marks' from the past three seasons BTW. Like everyone, I'll have been scorched by a couple of unhappy customers, but I generally enjoy the conflicting challenge of offering 'good expected service', whilst also satisfying observers and the LOTG

Last edited:
Whereas I'm in the minority amongst Refs by broadly supporting the idea of 'Club Marks'
A Referee will gauge how well a game is Refereed according to different criteria to that of Clubs and it would be wrong to ignore the latter as the gap between Referees and the wider football community would only grow more cavernous without accounting for their rating. Yes, individual scores will fluctuate significantly depending on individual decisions and the outcome of the game, but 'club marks' are of real value when assessed over the course of an entire season IMHO
I know it's far from perfect. But so is the process of being assessed. Both are flawed and subject to subjectivity and luck to varying degrees; which is exactly why these flaws should be diluted by using as much information as possible to gauge performance

I don't know what my 'club marks' from the past three seasons BTW. Like everyone, I'll have been scorched by a couple of unhappy customers, but I generally enjoy the conflicting challenge of offering 'good expected service', whilst also satisfying observers and the LOTG and I'm I'd like to think I'm good at both without being exceptional at either

Thinking out loud and assuming the FA take me on at L4 next season, I would not expect to be promoted again cos I'm fairly sure my bandings will be something like B-B or C-A in favour of Club Marks (I'd be pleased with those bandings TBH). I'll report back in 12 months!

The problem, based on your explanation, is that observers are not seeking the correct things.

My contention is that someone who doesn't know the Laws of the Game cannot possibly indicate whether a referee has performed up to standard. The reason for this is that (a) what they see on TV is a professional product so it cannot be used as a barometer for what goes on at an amateur level, and (b) correctly applying the Laws of the Game is, like, a basic barometer for competency.

Keeping (b) in mind, observers should not simply rely on LOTG knowledge since that is what the exams test. There are many aspects to making up a good match official and knowing the Laws is but one (albeit an important, mandatory one).

The problem, based on your explanation, is that observers are not seeking the correct things.

My contention is that someone who doesn't know the Laws of the Game cannot possibly indicate whether a referee has performed up to standard. The reason for this is that (a) what they see on TV is a professional product so it cannot be used as a barometer for what goes on at an amateur level, and (b) correctly applying the Laws of the Game is, like, a basic barometer for competency.

Keeping (b) in mind, observers should not simply rely on LOTG knowledge since that is what the exams test. There are many aspects to making up a good match official and knowing the Laws is but one (albeit an important, mandatory one).
Not aware of how observers/assessors work in your area, but in the UK observers are subject to regular development of techniques and awareness of a range of issues in addition to LOTG knowledge checks. Observations are checked and reviewed in most counties.
Big Cat has rightly said there will be subjectivity in the observation/ assessment process, which is also true of refereeing a game, and very true around club marks at local football levels.
The process is under review currently in England.

Club marks cover a wide range of things, pre match contact/admin, conduct before during and after the game etc. These can be the fine margins that cost promotion or the big games. Obviously decisions can weigh in but largely in my experience most are objective in the marks they offer.

Referees are paid to provide a service, I don’t see why it is wrong that they are rated by their customers after. I’m not really qualified in international logistics to comment on how Amazon delivered my tent last week, but I’m still asked to do so.

Back