A&H

Use of Video Technology

OIREF!

RefChat Addict
With the Rugby World Cup currently taking place the use of video technology is high profile again. Is it inevitable that this will be introduced to football before long? What are your opnions on this ~ can it work in football?

The Referee Store
I think its inevitable , within the next couple of years , that video evidence will be in use in some capacity !!

Maybe a 3 appeals per team per match system ?? may be the way forward :cry:

But IMO its definitely coming .

Under what scenarios though, and who has the right to the appeal? I would hope an appeal could only be "granted" during a break in play, and perhaps only the captain can make the appeal to the referee. For scenarios, offside/not offside when a goal has been scored (and either side can challenge); penalty/no penalty when the referee has blown for the spot kick (defensive side can challenge) - what else...?

Under what scenarios though, and who has the right to the appeal? I would hope an appeal could only be "granted" during a break in play, and perhaps only the captain can make the appeal to the referee. For scenarios, offside/not offside when a goal has been scored (and either side can challenge); penalty/no penalty when the referee has blown for the spot kick (defensive side can challenge) - what else...?
Not really given it much thought TBH but something will happen very soon !

I think it will have to happen in the near future, at least on a trial basis.

It is well established and accepted in other sports but football is a unique case. In cricket, tennis and, to an extent, rugby video decisions are usually a yes/no type decision and occur at a natural break in play. Football decisions are open to much more interpretation ~ you only need to read this website to see how easily referees disagree!

Proper guidlelines on it's use are essential otherwise we'll be using it to decide throw ins on the half way line.

Another potential issue I see is the integrity and neutrality of the video footage. Not sure how this is controlled in, say, rugby ~ do the simply rely on the footage from the television company covering the match?

I recall video evidence and appeals being used in hockey at the 2012 Olympics where teams had 3 appeals (I think) per match. An interesting feature was that the team had to state the basis of the appeal. This prevented spurious objections. In a football context you would see a goal being challenged for, say, handball but if this was not proven the goal could not then be disallowed for another infringement like offside.

The perception is that video technology will remove all argument but I am not convinced that this will be the case.

A way to limit spurious objections is to link the appeals to substitutions, similar to the way they do in American Football and timeouts.

An appeal that fails result in the loss of one of your substitutions = would make the manager think about whether to appeal. Three subs made = no appeals left.

Again the reason should be given to restrict the use of appeals and if appeal made for the wrong reason = IDFK against their team where play stopped.

We could not wait until stoppages, as we have all seen play continue for a significant time before the next stoppage.

The two big questions to solve:
- are we sure the clubs want to pay for this service?
- who would the video refs? Ex refs (who currently do the press role, slagging current referees off), up and coming referees (so it is the chosen few, who would do less FL matches). They are not going to use other EPL referees to act as TMO.

A way to limit spurious objections is to link the appeals to substitutions, similar to the way they do in American Football and timeouts.

An appeal that fails result in the loss of one of your substitutions = would make the manager think about whether to appeal. Three subs made = no appeals left.

Again the reason should be given to restrict the use of appeals and if appeal made for the wrong reason = IDFK against their team where play stopped.

We could not wait until stoppages, as we have all seen play continue for a significant time before the next stoppage.

The two big questions to solve:
- are we sure the clubs want to pay for this service?
- who would the video refs? Ex refs (who currently do the press role, slagging current referees off), up and coming referees (so it is the chosen few, who would do less FL matches). They are not going to use other EPL referees to act as TMO.

who would the be video refs?

Good point. Video technology will only be used at the highest level of the game. The expectation will surely be that the video referee or referees will be top level officials. If this was applied in the EPL only then you are looking at 10-20 extra officials per weekend. Were do these numbers come from? What would be the knock on effect on refereeing further down the pyramid.

If this was applied in the EPL only then you are looking at 10-20 extra officials per weekend.
Not necessarily. Is there any need for the refs to only do one game? Most weeks there are only 10 or so games going on at the same time and, if use of the video ref is limited, two or three refs with feeds from all the grounds could probably handle it. Also, it would be an ideal role for top level refs who can no longer handle the speed and fitness required so would not need to eat in to existing high level ref numbers.

Still think it is an unworkable idea for football...

Think of the time it would add on to the game and how much it would slow it down.

It's a no from me. Goal line, buzzer flags and comms are enough technology thank you. Oh and the electronic boards too! Can't forget them!

Back