A&H

USA v Netherlands

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
A Sunday league player would say “I got the ball!”

C815B5BB-3AE6-4F21-9321-C93645E1FB15.jpeg

VAR review picks this one up nicely. Nailed on penalty.

The Referee Store
(Full disclosure - US fan) Solid use of VAR. That's why it's there. Frappart was looking through the players and would have had a hard time seeing this one.

Between this call and the overturn using VAR in the England-US game (a penalty that many referees would likely miss in real time, but VAR was able to pick up and correctly award England a penalty kick), I think at least those two calls showed how VAR can look when used correctly.

A Sunday league player would say “I got the ball!”

View attachment 3565

VAR review picks this one up nicely. Nailed on penalty.
Wonder if this would have exceeded the threshold the PGMOL are talking about. It was a penalty, but I thought the contact was less severe (almost minor) in real time and only one of the replay angles showed that it was a foul. Not 'nailed on' for me and understandable the ref didn't see it at pitch level as it was on her blind-side

Not 'nailed on' for me and understandable the ref didn't see it at pitch level as it was on her blind-side

I think those are totally different issues. While I completely understand why the R could not see it (I understand less why the AR did not), I think that was a very clear penalty. Indeed, we didn't see much Dutch push back--they knew it was a penalty, too.

I think those are totally different issues. While I completely understand why the R could not see it (I understand less why the AR did not), I think that was a very clear penalty. Indeed, we didn't see much Dutch push back--they knew it was a penalty, too.
Just saying that the contact looked more trivial from all replay angles (particularly in real time), except the one that yelled 'Penalty'. I wouldn't describe a review that's only conclusive from one angle as a 'stone waller', but we're not in disagreement that it was a good VAR intervention

Just saying that the contact looked more trivial from all replay angles (particularly in real time), except the one that yelled 'Penalty'. I wouldn't describe a review that's only conclusive from one angle as a 'stone waller', but we're not in disagreement that it was a good VAR intervention
If there's only one angle that shows an offence happening out of five, it's no less an offence.
Clearly at least one angle (and probably the most important one) didn't show any offence at all, that's why VAR looks at all of them, then picks the best available and sends them down.

Back