A&H

Junior/Youth Upcoming Tough Game

Will Triffitt

Level 7 Referee
Hi all! Just wanting a bit of advice. This Sunday (22nd Jan) I have a game which I believe is going to be tough. It is in the U16 League Cup. I have done the home side (blue) 4 or 5 times this season and have given them 6 YCs and 2 RCs (I think) - they're a physical and aggressive side. The away team (red) I have done once. I reffed the exact same fixture, blue vs red, 2 weeks ago in the league. Reds demolished blues 10-0 after scoring a penalty in the 6th minute. Both teams were very physical and the home coach has expressed concern that his players are going to be wanting 'revenge' for the last time they played and it could get very feisty. Last time, I kept he game fairly under control until about midway through the 2nd half when I, correctly, sent off a player for 2nd Yellow card. From that point, tackles were flying in and luckily, there was only 10 minutes to go or so. My RDO or one of the development group coaches may be at the game this time. Advice and tips would be helpful in order to try and keep the game as calm as possible. As ever, any questions, please ask! Thanks!

The Referee Store
Don't let anything go for the first 10-15 minutes, penalise everything, no advantages......then, if they are behaving themselves, you can relax your grip on the game bit by bit......but if they start being silly again, just tighten it back up until they settle down again.
If it's a caution, give it....don't be tempted to "manage" anything out......

Once they see that you are not going to give them any leeway while they are flying in with challenges, or other niggly type fouls that wind opponents up, they should settle down. The first 10-15 minutes is where they will be testing your boundaries and what they can get away with.

Of course, if you happen to know which players are the mouthy ones that are liable to protest every decision and otherwise try to undermine you.....get them in the book sharpish.....they either shut up or are off the pitch....either way, it's a win/win for you.

"Refereeing is like riding a horse you've never met before. When you first mount it, you're not sure what type of personality it has. You don't know if it's going to be a docile little gem that'll trot along obediently, or a misbehaving little **** that'll run out of control.
'If it's a ****, and you keep your reins too loose for the first few steps, you're going to have to pull it right back. But if it's a gem, and you keep the reins too tight, you might aggravate it'
If it is cantering along nicely, you can perhaps loosen the reins a little bit, allow the horse to relax and start to enjoy the experience. However, if the nag saw something that caused it to rear up, you have to take swift action. 'Then you'd have to tightly yank on the reins, just for a few minutes, to settle it back down again'

Fantastic analogy on match control.

What @Padfoot said. I would also say try and put what happened at the previous game to the back of your mind. Forget about the concerns either of the coaches might have. Referee the game that is in front of you. You might be pleasantly surprised :)

For once, I have to agree with @Padfoot - let nothing go in the first 10-15 minutes. If they want to extract revenge or play silly p**ts, then be prepared for a "book load".

People will say that you have ruined the game with cautions - "NO, you are protecting the players".

Also, don't allow the coaches to complain from the touchlines. While the players may be sensible to start with, the coaches could their tempo and cause the start of the problems.

The RDO or a senior referee being there is good for you. They will be able to back up decisions, if things turn out that way.

i'll reiterate @Padfoot 's thoughts re cautions....
my first local derby i saw a hefty challenge after 20 seconds, if that, and i realise in hindsight i should have cautioned. It would have made the ensuing 20-25 minutes a much more pleasant experience for all concerned

New game clean slate. Do what you would normally do and you will be fine. Tough but fair and things should fall into place. Do not take any abuse from coaches as their behaivour will set the precedent. I did a game before Xmas which in the first 5 minutes the away coach was questioning every decision. A polite request to wind his neck in worked and he did reign it back which changed the atmosphere.

I'm with @xPositor on this one. Whilst being aware it never bodes well to go into a game with preconceived notions of what may or may not happen, as he says, you might very well be surprised.

That said, tread carefully early on as @Padfoot suggests, you'll get a feel for.it soon enough and can increase/decrease your profile in the game as you deem appropriate

Padfoot has nailed it. What you often find in these games is that both teams make a point of behaving themselves - it could be nice and clean!

Be aware that once goals start happening that can lead to frustration. Don't turn your back on the players around the goalmouth after a goal has been scored.
Also be aware of retaliation and off-the ball stuff. Sometimes you may need to run a bit wider to keep things in your peripheral vision

Some one has read Howard Webbs book....DB ☺️

Often, the games you think are going to.be difficult are a walk in the park.

It sounds like neither team was complaining about you at the end so do what you do

Some one has read Howard Webbs book....DB ☺️

Often, the games you think are going to.be difficult are a walk in the park.

It sounds like neither team was complaining about you at the end so do what you do
You're correct :) This was one of my favourite bits :D

Well lads, as ever, you were correct again. Pitch was frozen so played on the 3G. Reds won the game 14-0! Easiest game I have ever refereed I think... certainly this season! 2 or 3 fouls. 1 penalty, 1 player on a final warning before I was going to caution him for persistent infringement, 1 player cautioned for verbal distraction, 2 or 3 offsides. Spent virtually the whole game in the red's attacking half. Nice easy £20!

As the player went to kick the ball, a defender shouted something (can't remember what now!) clearly about the attacker causing the attacker to put the ball out of play.

Also on a different note, blue started with 9 players because of injuries and suspension!

Back