A&H

Unsuitable pitch

coventryref

Turned up yesterday to referee a game , whilst doing my pitch inspection prior to kick off i noticed pitch had hardley any grass on it so exposing the sprinkler system i realised that it would be dangerous to players and myself when i got my stud caught in it.
The players and manegement of the team totally understood.
They suggested playing on a rubber crumb surface which is allowed in the league rules so we walked to it on entering the field of play i noticed there were no corner flags. I know the laws of the game state there must be corner flags to play the game but i had traveled a round journey of 80 miles and other opersition even further. So i took both mangers to the side and the captains and explained that we should not play the game however if both managers agreed and both captains i would play the game....Do you think i was right to play the game or should i have called it off...

The Referee Store
No corner flags are the least of your worries on an artificial pitch! Anchored goals are much more important. At least the lines were clear?

This seems familiar to when i came and assessed you Paul. IIRC that time it was wires over the pitch that were the issue

Ive played a game without corner flags, im not saying its the right thing to do, but im sure a lot of us have been in a similar situation.

Well that wasnt the only issue on the day as it turned out, but lets not get into that one eh ;)

Ive been AR on a league this season at the same ground and the Lines are solid as a rock ! Bloody pitches hey !

Back