A&H

Unsporting Behaviour?

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Had an interesting incident in my U16 game this morning. Attacker running towards goal and just as he was about to shoot, the defender running behind him suddenly coughed really loudly. The player glanced back and scuffed his shot.

I was in absolutely no doubt that he'd done to distract the striker so I stopped the game, awarded an IFK and booked him for unsporting behaviour. It seemed right at the time, but i'm just unsure if I took the right action?

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
Absolutely right thing, I've found it becoming more common in youth matches, my under 12 team played a league match and on four occasions the keeper screamed as my players were through on goal.........

Absolutely, if a player shouts or does anything to distract an opponent with out reason it's USB so an IDFK and YC.

Assuming the attacker is running central to the goal and has an obvious goal scoring opportunity ... Does anyone not want to send off the defender who coughs ..?

Re-start is IDFK - think I might be thinking red if it is a really obvious opportunity and verbal distraction !

Might be a hard sell ... Might also be correct in Law though - DOGSO ..?

Happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong (or right!) - always been one of those grey areas for me :)

It's one of those scenarios you hope you never have to deal with.

Might be a hard sell ... Might also be correct in Law though - DOGSO ..?

Happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong (or right!) - always been one of those grey areas for me :)
Surely it would still be "Unfairly distracting an opponent" so IDFK and caution?

Players don't know the rules. How many times do you hear "he can't shout that ref!" In theory he can shout whatever the hell he likes if it isn't meant to distract and opponent. Do players know that? Nope. Did I know that when I was playing. Nope.

Players don't know the rules. How many times do you hear "he can't shout that ref!" In theory he can shout whatever the hell he likes if it isn't meant to distract and opponent. Do players know that? Nope. Did I know that when I was playing. Nope.

I had that yesterday, one of the players called 'I got' to which one of the opponents told me they should have an IFK as he's got to put a name on it.

Back