A&H

Under 8's

Reece

Level 6 Referee
I dont know whether i am looking forward to it or not but got four under 8 games tomoz

Dont know what to expect though

The Referee Store
This is totally my opinion and my opinion only. If I were you id be doing 12 an over to give you a good idea what refereeing involves dont get me wrong under 8s is fine but your not going to have anything to really deal with . Not only that but i dont think they will count towards your 5 games ?

No they wont but because i said that i was free on saturdays they have gave me under 8's because i didnt know that only under 8s and 9's play

But i cant get 11 a side games on sunday's when i can get there :D

Because my mum has gone fulltime and only has some sundays off and my dad works sundays all the time

Sorry im not being nosey but I too have transport issues. My girlfriend takes me to my games but she works every other weekend. The weekend she isnt able to take me to game I get put on the line but they always pair me with a referee and assistant team that live near my way and i get on the train or bus to meet them and we all drive in one car is this something you can look into ?

I would say it will help with you confidence of being out there though. It'll also give you an idea of what being a ref is like. You wont have ANYTHING to deal with, but I think being in the middle in your blacks is always a useful experience. It helps gain confidence when dealing with managers etc. I've done a fair few youth games and the refereeing part I'm fine with I'm always more nervous about what I say to the managers etc as dont want to look like a totally newbie ref (even though I am!)

Just to re-say what some others have said, try and get yourself doing the 11 a side. U8's are ok, but are not a true reflection of how refereeing is. Its not going to prepare you for 'what is out there'. But good luck anyway :)

When i referee U11 and below (aka mini soccer or 9v9) i tend to be more of a coach then a referee as to them it is so much about understanding decisions. I find that if I give a foul (for example) i say to the player "do'nt worry, you did catch him but shake hands and think next time" or a million other variations to help them understand why you chose to stop play - I find it puts them in good stead for the 11v11 where the laws will always be applied 100% down the line. Of course, I explain, in open age football, my decisions, but I expect open age to know why i blow before i have to say a word ;)

I do'nt know if this is the correct approach, but i have lost count of the mini soccer games i have refereed for local clubs and I've never had a bad word said about my approach - in fact, the opposite!

Back