A&H

Under 12s game tips??

laney9901

Hey guys

So far I've reffed 3 matches, 2 intermural games at my uni (both competitive so I felt thrown in at the deep end) and 1 under 15 youth League game (decider for third place so also competitive). I feel like I have given the best decisions I can, especially with offsides when there's no linos. I've got an under 12 game this weekend and I was wondering if there were any general tips you could give me for things like challenges and foul throws etc. How much leeway do you give with cards?

Also, does (or did) anyone else find that the fa seem to be pushing newly qualified refs, such as myself, into reffing matches that may suit a more experienced ref better? I know it was only a youth game but I think that for a second match, a third place decider was a bit harsh to give a new ref 😅

The Referee Store
At that age, I would give foul throws where it's obvious. A little bit of leeway in fine and a quick 'make sure you keep both feet on the ground' or 'the ball has to come from behind your head and over' should sort it out. Always hard to say RE fouls but if there's violent conduct etc. it has to be punished. Often at that end with challenges you would caution for at a higher level, it's down to clumsiness more than anything.

In terms of appointments, you'll probably find it's down to a lack of referees generally. Often being thrown in the deep end is a great way to learn though.

I have acutally been centering a lot of U12s solo as of late and it is not the best scenario. I beleive i have gotten quite good at it. When I feel the ball is going to be sent into an attacking half I have turned to look at the defenders to notice their positioning. It is not an ideal situation because I am trained to watch the ball but without linos you need to go back to your instincts as AR and listen for the ball to be played. It takes some getting used to and it is still a hard thing to do but it can be possible. As far as throws go, I agree a good word about what is needed for a proper throw in goes a long way and this all depends on the heat of the match, whether it is a super competitive match as well. I think you are doing a fine job, for one asking for advice is a big bonus for you and there could be something that your assignor sees in your that sometimes we dont see in ourselves. I know as an assignor, I am always short and tend to try to fill my schedule up and then hope I have the time to work with those that need the help. Coming from such a small league and community I tend to do things out of the box but great question and I am sure you will gain knowledge from your questions.

Back