A&H

U8's non competitive

The Ginger Ref

Level 7 Referee
I'm trying to ask this as diplomatically as possible because it’s a genuine question.

I received an email from a local club asking for referees to officiate their under-8s non-competitive games.

My question is: What’s the point?

I struggle to see how refereeing a game like this—especially one that’s non-competitive—would be beneficial for a referee’s development. The pitch is only a third of the size of a full pitch, so it wouldn't really help with practicing positioning or mastering the "lazy S" movement. In fact, it may have a detrimental impact as you spend most the game trying to get out the way. I know others have expressed previously that mini soccer can be helpful for newly qualified referees, particularly youth referees looking for experience, I’m still not convinced that officiating under-8s games would provide meaningful development.

Another concern I have is why clubs are trying to pull referees away from competitive matches that could genuinely benefit from officiating (sure, in an ideal world every game has a referee, but we know that isn't the case). I find this even more frustrating as the club in question happens to be a club I refereed for as part of my qualifying matches and was told it was the first time they’d (U14s) had a referee all season!

Clubs should consider implementing a refereeing initiative. For example, they could sponsor their U15, U16, and U18 players to take the refereeing course, covering the cost of the fees. In return, these newly qualified referees would officiate the younger age groups as part of their development in the first year.

A&H International
League Appointments Secretaries are short of referees at U13/U12/U11, and don't appoint to younger age levels as a referee is unnecessary and the games are non-competitive (results not published, developmental rather than competitive)
The older players being trained as referees works in many areas, then they can be used for U11 to U13.

Reffed my sons u7s for the first time this morning. 2 fouls in 40 mins, certainly doesn't need a 'proper' ref.

Manager of the other team was an ex step 6 player I'd reffed a few times in the past which was an amusing coincidence
So, you did your normal performance then....
How was your fitness, did you keep up with play?

I'm trying to ask this as diplomatically as possible because it’s a genuine question.

I received an email from a local club asking for referees to officiate their under-8s non-competitive games.

My question is: What’s the point?

I struggle to see how refereeing a game like this—especially one that’s non-competitive—would be beneficial for a referee’s development. The pitch is only a third of the size of a full pitch, so it wouldn't really help with practicing positioning or mastering the "lazy S" movement. In fact, it may have a detrimental impact as you spend most the game trying to get out the way. I know others have expressed previously that mini soccer can be helpful for newly qualified referees, particularly youth referees looking for experience, I’m still not convinced that officiating under-8s games would provide meaningful development.

Another concern I have is why clubs are trying to pull referees away from competitive matches that could genuinely benefit from officiating (sure, in an ideal world every game has a referee, but we know that isn't the case). I find this even more frustrating as the club in question happens to be a club I refereed for as part of my qualifying matches and was told it was the first time they’d (U14s) had a referee all season!

Clubs should consider implementing a refereeing initiative. For example, they could sponsor their U15, U16, and U18 players to take the refereeing course, covering the cost of the fees. In return, these newly qualified referees would officiate the younger age groups as part of their development in the first year.
As others have said, it is simply the coaching team don't want to do it and nobody else has volunteered.

As with every now in life, "I don't want to do it, so I will pay some else to do it".

The club has more money than volunteers!

Back