A&H

U16s... thoughts?

DAW7

Had an U16s match recently, pretty soggy conditions but certainly playable. Both coaches knew we'd start but if we got a heavy downpour or two we'd probably be calling it... the conditions held. Result!

Decent match overall, I could have positioned better for a couple of close calls but nothing major (I think). Majority of the game, 4 goals 2 a piece, 1 yellow for a reckless challenge (another yellow to come...)

Incident 1:
About 6 minutes from full time blue #9 committed a foul (not a caution) about 10 yards outside his own area out towards the touchline, easy fk, clear blow. Ball has already rolled to a red player, #9 then fouled that player again (reckless challenge). I blow loud and clear again, and call him over. (I'm cautioning him for the second challenge after the whistle).

All the time he's trying to walk away and arguing that the red player went for the ball too. I explained we wouldn't restart the match until I'd taken his name and issued the yellow... we managed this with him repeatedly trying to walk away and arguing. I showed him the yellow, no more issues for the remaining 6 mins.

Would I have been right to show him a yellow for the foul and then a dissent yellow (sin bin)?

Incident 2:
Coach approached me after the game and said "entirely up to you but are you going to put those yellows in?"

My response "yes. I wouldn't have dished them out otherwise, and we have no idea who might be spectating".

His response "fine. Last ref before Christmas didn't put them in. It's grassroots football".

Should I be passing this onto the league/local FA? (The cautions are already submitted!)

The Referee Store
incident one, I dont use sin bins so leave that to someone else

incident two, if I heard the " last weeks ref never" line, am informing my league, and if that ref asked who it was, well, he or she wont need to, as I will have let them know personally, whether or not we actually know each other.

unless you mean reporting the comments of, are you putting these in, no, others may have other views but thats not report worthy for me.

Last edited:
Incident 1: 3 possibles. You could sin bin if you felt it was dissent. Or, you make it clear to everyone that whole he’s refusing to give his name, the game won’t be restarted and it’s all on him. That often speeds it up.
Thirdly, refusing to give a name is a listed offence in county handbooks and carries a separate charge. It’s another option.

Typically I go with option 2.

Incident 2: I’m always wary of this one, and won’t rise the bait. I wasn’t there last week, I don’t know who was and what they did or didn’t do. This could easily be kidology to put doubt in my mind. For all I know last weeks referee DID report, but he’s trying to talk me out of it.

I let it pass, and submit anyway.

Caveat: I have in the past had someone claim to be a member of the local FA and that he would be representing the player I sent off at a hearing if I submitted the report. He also repeatedly said that as he was a member of the FA, that he disagreed with the red (for abusive language) and he would recommend I not get any more games.

I reported this separately - he was charged and wasn’t a member of the FA at all, just a chancer.

This went far beyond the “are they going in?” comment we often hear.

1: Yellow card, get on with game.

2: "I'll report the facts to the league"

Back