A&H

Junior/Youth U14 first division table-topper: 4-4

SLI39

Given my record this season, I was expecting nothing less than a tightly-fought, dramatic match, and unsurprisingly that is what played out. However, following warnings beforehand that it would be tense and to expect to have to get a grip early, I felt prepared and more confident than I have in a while.
The away side raced into a 2-0 lead, but soon it became clear that the start had given an inaccurate reflection of the respective quality of both sides, and by half time the home team had brought it back to 2-2.
No major problems from players or coaches at this point; one contested overrule of offside after I felt one striker had backed off from challenging for an aerial ball, whereupon the ball fell to an onside attacker, but that was about it.

You could say the second half was more eventful.. Tempers were rising 5-10 minutes into the half, and luckily I was right where I needed to be when the fuse inevitably blew.
Three players (2 home, 1 away), obviously responding to something (unsure what exactly initiated it, but I saw the worst of it), engaged in some pushing and shoving. Very easy AA decisions, and I took some time with the cautions to draw the sting out of the match. So much for the disciplinary side.

There was then a lull before the away side regained their two-goal advantage, and it was at that point that two technical talking points occurred to swing the match.
First, I gave a back pass against the away team about 8 yards from goal, quite similar to another one earlier this season (whatever that says about me). I've actually contributed to a forum on here about this type of decision and it was in my mind when I gave it, but I was convinced a defender had tapped it to his keeper, who was only too happy to pick it up with 2-3 attackers in the vicinity. Yes, we can argue that an IDFK in this position is a generous reward for this type of offence, but that's no excuse not to follow the laws and potentially give oneself an easier ride towards full time. The IDFK was scored, and some minutes later the same goalkeeper had a shocker: as he waited for the ball to roll into his box, a striker was too quick and nipped it away to be left with an empty net. A few protests that he'd had hands on it, but I felt the almost simultaneous action of keeper/striker gave me no right to judge that the keeper was challenged illegally.

Overall, despite some controversy, I felt strangely calm at the end of the match, knowing I had done my best in a difficult situation. I was pretty hot on fouls throughout, as the home manager had said pre-kick-off that a previous fixture had spiralled wildly out of control with challenges unpunished. If he/his team felt I was whiste-happy, well it's only what they asked for.
Glad to receive appreciation from parents and grudging respect from away coaches, who (predictably) believed I had seen a phantom touch between defender and keeper.

Sorry for the long post; it was just nice to walk off with some self-belief. Any comments are valued.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Sounds like you had a great game. From what you have said all your decisions sound to be right ones and I am glad to see you issue cards when needed at this klevel, I think at youth there is attitude to try and keep cards in the pocket from parents, coaches and refs but at 11 aside there should be no excuse not to pull out a card if deserved.

Sounds like you had a great game. From what you have said all your decisions sound to be right ones and I am glad to see you issue cards when needed at this klevel, I think at youth there is attitude to try and keep cards in the pocket from parents, coaches and refs but at 11 aside there should be no excuse not to pull out a card if deserved.

Thanks, and absolutely I agree. I have had a few tough games recently, and most of the difficulties boil down to not bringing out the cards soon enough. Once you do, maintaining consistency becomes an even more acute demand, but I often find that young players get a bit intimidated by the cards and keep quiet for a while, thus helping to relieve pressure and reinstate one's control. So like with crime, the aim of punishment is not only vindication of law, but also deterrence.

I realised that I need to do it more often, as yesterday I couldn't read my own writing and forgot to put down the numbers at first!
I have received advice from my referee secretary and been offered to shadow games etc., but for all the areas of learning and expertise, applying the powers/duties you have is nine tenths of the law. To paraphrase something heard on here, cards are tools, not grenades. Unfortunately there are certain unwritten rules (which should be dismissed) about greater tolerance of misbehaviour in youth football. When referees enter a culture in which cards are used as last resorts or only for particularly serious offences, it is hard to integrate them into one's game.
I have noticed that the parents and players themselves U14/15/16 age groups seem quite happy to watch unsporting, at times abusive, behaviour, yet are surprised when referees crack down on it. However, some managers actually show more respect for you when they see you sanctioning their own players.

I had the joys of u14s myself yesterday, 1st division relegation 6 pointer. Home side I have refereed regularly in the past and this season, away side a few times in the past but 1st time this season. Carded a few of the home team already this season. 1st half was played in generally good but competitive spirit with some good footy from both sides, a couple of free kicks for both sides, nothing really card worthy. 1-1 at half time, home keeper who is normally reliable dropped a clanger and misjudged an overhit high through ball by running under the flight of the ball giving the away side an easy tap in from 6 yards.

Prehaps the pressure of expectation must have kicked in as the 2nd half became very scrappy with a few niggly fouls creeping in from both sides. Amongst the mostly petty fouls, away right back triggered my radar and he went in the book for persistent infringement. Home side dominated most of the possession and chances in the 2nd half, but couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo. Last minute away side go on the counter, ball gets crossed into the penalty area, straight to the home keeper, who under relatively no pressure, drops the ball straight into the path of the only attacker to get anywhere near the penalty area to tap in the winner. Not content with putting his side ahead, away scorer decides to get in the face of the keeper and continues goading him as he runs back towards his own half. Decided to "have a word" with him and call him over. Kid decides to give me attitude as well and tried to walk away, loud blast of the whistle, called him back, which he did somewhat reluctantly along with a few inaudible mutterings. Gave him the "don't walk away from a referee when they are talking to you" lecture, took his name and showed him a lemon in return for AA!

Speaking to away team coaches after full time, they asked about the cards, which I explained and they said they had no complaints about either and were sorry for any crap their players may have given out. Sense of satisfaction when the manager then said well done and good job, couldn't have been an easy game to ref!

Back