A&H

Two footed jump

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Sorry there's no video, I'm going to attempt to describe this best I can!

So I am fully aware it should have been a penalty, what I am unsure about is the sanction I should have given.

Attacking player with the ball is running along the goal line, having just crossed into the penalty area, and takes a heavy touch.

Defending player comes from the side, runs, jumps, and with two feet takes the ball at ground level. The attacking player then goes over his legs.

Now I think that's a pretty clear SFP for endangering the safety because the tackle was so close to the player and he's jumped in with both feet.

Does double jeopardy apply in this situation because it's a penalty and he is trying to win the ball, even if its a dangerous tackle?

The Referee Store
If you think it’s SFP, then you can straight red. Regardless of DOGSO etc

DOGSO would be a yellow and a penalty if he attempted to play the ball, but SFP is always a red.

So I am fully aware it should have been a penalty, what I am unsure about is the sanction I should have given.

Attacking player with the ball is running along the goal line, having just crossed into the penalty area, and takes a heavy touch.

Defending player comes from the side, runs, jumps, and with two feet takes the ball at ground level. The attacking player then goes over his legs.

Now I think that's a pretty clear SFP for endangering the safety because the tackle was so close to the player and he's jumped in with both feet.

Does double jeopardy apply in this situation because it's a penalty and he is trying to win the ball, even if its a dangerous tackle?
Was there contact or not?

In a way, you are describing the kind of robust tackle that “football likes to see” and if a defender plays a ball immediately out of play from close to the line… that’s going to be a huge decision to sell.

If the attacker contacted the defender’s thighs… if the defender was in control… was the attacker actually “late” to this and had overrun the ball…

Not saying it wasn’t an offence mind…

In a way, you are describing the kind of robust tackle that “football likes to see” and if a defender plays a ball immediately out of play from close to the line… that’s going to be a huge decision to sell.

If the attacker contacted the defender’s thighs… if the defender was in control… was the attacker actually “late” to this and had overrun the ball…

Not saying it wasn’t an offence mind…
Attacker isn’t as late as you’re thinking but yes I see your point and it’s where my brain went when the tackle happened.

It's entirely possible you're instinct to take no action was correct. Not every playing of the ball with two legs is SFP. This may not even qualify as a tackle or a challenge given he (on my reading, because the attacker has fallen over the legs rather than the feet of the defender) is well ahead of the attacker. It's certainly not a lunge at the opponent.

Of course, you were the one there, but keep in mind your description now is affected by the lapse of time. You're decision in the moment is some evidence that it was not SFP.

Was there uproar about the challenge?

It's entirely possible you're instinct to take no action was correct. Not every playing of the ball with two legs is SFP. This may not even qualify as a tackle or a challenge given he (on my reading, because the attacker has fallen over the legs rather than the feet of the defender) is well ahead of the attacker. It's certainly not a lunge at the opponent.

Of course, you were the one there, but keep in mind your description now is affected by the lapse of time. You're decision in the moment is some evidence that it was not SFP.

Was there uproar about the challenge?
One team went mad because he’s jumped in with two feet. Manager confronted me about it at half time on the pitch and claims the defending team bench also thought it was really bad but his word isn’t reliable.

One team went mad because he’s jumped in with two feet. Manager confronted me about it at half time on the pitch and claims the defending team bench also thought it was really bad but his word isn’t reliable.
If I was the defending manager I'd be telling the oppo that it was the worst thing I'd ever seen.

Did the manager get the flick for the confrontation?

Double jeopardy is only for DOGSO, so no. However, I'm not sure you can justify SFP in this situation. The force and speed of the tackle may have been high enough to point to excessive force, but you lack the consideration of point of contact (since there was none). In this case, and based on your description, I think a caution for UB-reckless is the safest and most supportable decision.

Back