A&H

turning up to matches

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
what do you wear when you turn up to a match, can you get like an FA polo shirt or do you turn up in a suit any suggestions please?

The Referee Store
I'm in the same position as you, newly qualified, doing youth football, and just sent my 6 matches in a while back. I wear a tracksuit. Some regular trackie' bottoms, and a RA fleece tracksuit top. That's when I go and talk to the managers, check the pitch etc. Then, I go back to my car, and take the trackies' off, have my kit on underneath, and then go and do my warm up... Last weekend I saw a ref turn up for the pitch next to me with his full kit on, 2 flags in hand, and that was it. A few weeks ago when I was playing, our ref turned up, minutes to K.O (we were waiting for him to turn up!), came and had a word with us, the same with his kit on and 2 flags in hand, and kicked off! So, if I was you, I'd buy a top from somewhere (that shows your the ref, most people at matches recognise me before the match because of my jacket), and just wear some regular tracksuit bottoms for the minute. You can buy an FA Polo though, I'll see if I can find it, because I've seen them before. Hope this helps.

If I'm on the supply league / cup final it's a suit everytime. With either the supply league tie or the county tie.

When I turn up to "normal" Saturday league football I turn up in jeans and a coat, put my bag in the changing room and do my pitch inspection. After that's done, I go inside, get my shorts and socks on, but a different top to my refereeing top. I then do a warm up and get the team sheets etc... When I go back into my changing room for the final time, the refereeing top comes in. I knock on the players changing rooms, do the pre-match checks, get my flags and match ball and head on out.

It's an interesting one this.

Now, all games I do, I'm required to turn up in a suit, shirt and appropriate tie (Supply, County or FAMOA). However, I don't think there's a need for park games. A clean 'smart-looking' tracksuit will suffice, preferably with whatever's on top (jacket, coat, jumper etc) being a distinguishable referee's top.

Saturdays, was always shirt and tie, sunday mornings, if i knew the venue had changing rooms, then county polo shirt and tracksuit. If it didnt have changing rooms, then kit on underneath tracksuit

We are given a Federation 'golf' shirt with 'WaiBOP Football - Referee' embroidered on the breast, along with a 'bench coat' embroidered the same.

Black trousers are recommended for the rest.

I will admit, that while we pay towards these out of our match fees (we are paid by the Federation not the teams), they are superb quality and it costs us less than half the retail, it does look bloody professional when all three officials turn up wearing exactly the same.

Also, if you go to the bar after the game, the embroidered badge entitles you to a free beer!!!!

Suit and FAW tie for all matches but for junior games. If its a CFA junior match, then its shirt and CFA tie, anything under then FAW tracksuit.

Back