A&H

Junior/Youth Tricky end to U15 match

SLI39

I forgot my bananas this morning, so perhaps I was running low on sugar and that rendered the end of the second half difficult. The first match was delayed due to a touch-and-go decision on a frozen pitch, so one always wonders whether the teams left waiting for 15 minutes start with frustration.
It also just seemed to be one of those days where players come together at strange angles and you don't ever have an ideal view. That said, I had managed the U15 clash for about 75 minutes with relative ease, having calmed the home CAR down once or twice (e.g. explaining I am not obliged to signal to a GK that I am about to blow the whistle), spoken to the home captain about a player close to a booking, and fulfilled one's trivial duties. The home team have a tendency to boil over at stressful moments, and in the past I haven't always dealt with dissent assiduously. I sometimes palm off complaints/questions rather than thinking, "this has strayed into dissent".
The theme of the day was probably strikers who flap and go down a bit easily (one U13 lad, having won a penalty, began to bait defenders in a similar way). Maybe I will have to keep a closer eye on simulation, which I haven't experienced much in the junior age groups hitherto.
Typically, then, in injury time, a striker, whom I had cautioned for delaying the restart a minute earlier, chased a ball played to him on the counter; he was bearing down on goal, about a 12 yards out. I was a bit on top of the incident, and it seemed to me that the ball was within playing distance for a fair defensive charge, which is how I saw the subsequent contact. I cut grass pretty quickly, but obviously since the teams were drawing late in the game and it would have been DOGSO & penalty, I received some grief. I spoke to a player about a "you'd have given that in our box" comment; he escaped a red. Perhaps the striker's propensity to appeal for everything and initiate contact unconsciously played a part in the decision. And arguably I could have saved myself all the trouble by pulling the three card trick when he was reluctant to retreat 10 yards even after a caution.
I think I could do with a couple more years of \<under 18 before considering promotion. Having enough fuel for two matches would help!

The Referee Store
What is a "fair defensive charge"?

Also, on promotion, you really need to do Adult football before considering promotion.....doing Youth football, whilst a good grounding, will not entirely prepare you for Open Age. And if your first attempt at Open Age, is also your first promotion season, don't be too surprised if a) you don't get promoted and b) your observations seem quite negative or have lots of development points.
If you are able to be pragmatic enough to view that first season as a learning curve and use the observations to improve your game rather than set your heart on promotion at the first attempt then fair enough.

I forgot my bananas this morning, so perhaps I was running low on sugar and that rendered the end of the second half difficult. The first match was delayed due to a touch-and-go decision on a frozen pitch, so one always wonders whether the teams left waiting for 15 minutes start with frustration.
It also just seemed to be one of those days where players come together at strange angles and you don't ever have an ideal view. That said, I had managed the U15 clash for about 75 minutes with relative ease, having calmed the home CAR down once or twice (e.g. explaining I am not obliged to signal to a GK that I am about to blow the whistle), spoken to the home captain about a player close to a booking, and fulfilled one's trivial duties. The home team have a tendency to boil over at stressful moments, and in the past I haven't always dealt with dissent assiduously. I sometimes palm off complaints/questions rather than thinking, "this has strayed into dissent".
The theme of the day was probably strikers who flap and go down a bit easily (one U13 lad, having won a penalty, began to bait defenders in a similar way). Maybe I will have to keep a closer eye on simulation, which I haven't experienced much in the junior age groups hitherto.
Typically, then, in injury time, a striker, whom I had cautioned for delaying the restart a minute earlier, chased a ball played to him on the counter; he was bearing down on goal, about a 12 yards out. I was a bit on top of the incident, and it seemed to me that the ball was within playing distance for a fair defensive charge, which is how I saw the subsequent contact. I cut grass pretty quickly, but obviously since the teams were drawing late in the game and it would have been DOGSO & penalty, I received some grief. I spoke to a player about a "you'd have given that in our box" comment; he escaped a red. Perhaps the striker's propensity to appeal for everything and initiate contact unconsciously played a part in the decision. And arguably I could have saved myself all the trouble by pulling the three card trick when he was reluctant to retreat 10 yards even after a caution.
I think I could do with a couple more years of \<under 18 before considering promotion. Having enough fuel for two matches would help!

Reading between the lines here it seems that you are hedging because you don't feel you can "sell" certain decisions.
Part of the answer is earlier warnings. If you think you have a problem with one team going down too easily, get the captain and player in early for a clear warning. Next time it will be much easier for you to give a decision and e.g. YC. Even if they still don't "buy" it and whinge - you will feel a whole lot better.
And generally you should perhaps be more prepared to be unpopular. If you really have a player on a yellow, giving you dissent and delaying the restart, in the face of repeated warnings - you have to act next time - IMHO obviously ;)

Thanks for the advice. I have had enough experience with the characters on this team to know that early warnings have worked well in the past. I agree it's perhaps also easier to sell 50/50 decisions when you have built up that authority. As regards promotion, yes, I'm aware I need adult experience. My ref sec just mentioned that I could start thinking about it. I am in all probability going to begin work as an assistant from next season on a local league, but I believe I still have much to learn from youth games. Sorry for the potentially oxymoronic term 'fair charge'. I essentially meant that they came together shoulder to shoulder, that the movement from the defender wasn't C/R/EF, and that the striker slightly adjusted his run to invite the collision. I don't remember much more than that now, and perhaps I didn't see it correctly.

Back