A&H

tree

simonwref

Level 6 Referee
Just arrived at a game, there is a tree in the corner of the pitch, off the pitch, but thick branches overhang the playing area.
If the ball hits the branches but stays in play, is it play on, or dropball? Thanx.

The Referee Store
I haven't come across such a situation in my life time but I think as a referee you have to carry out a full pitch inspection in your pre match preparations. May be during that time, you can request the branches be cut. The referee has full authority to stop the match for, among other reasons, “outside interference of any kind” and he/she “indicates the restart of the match after it has been stopped.” This means that you will have to stop play every time the ball hits the branch and restart will be dropped ball. If a goalkeeper takes a goal kick and the ball comes off the branch, and before it has touched another player, goalkeeper handles it inside his penalty area, it will be IDFK.
Second option: Agree with both team before the start of the match that the branches will be part of the field. This will be the simplest solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
@MI At a high level match, perhaps the branches can be cut. At Sunday football level, that's almost never going to happen.

Personally, I would likely go with the drop ball method (and argue "outside agent"), but you could also easily take the tack that it is part of the field (a "field condition", so to speak), and like the referee? Play on.

Nonsense. Has to be dropped ball. You can't declare it "part of the field". It could cause havoc
Then you will have 'dropped ball' till the end of the game. It will be mad refereeing hahaha. Such scenarios have not been discussed in the LOTG, so apply Law 18: common sense. I know common sense is no longer "common" to all.

Then you will have 'dropped ball' till the end of the game. It will be mad refereeing hahaha. Such scenarios have not been discussed in the LOTG, so apply Law 18: common sense. I know common sense is no longer "common" to all.

But that's the correct restart. Even if you're "drop balling" all game, that's what youd have to deal wity

Simon, despite what the great and the good might suggest, (i wouldn't advise lopping of bits of trees mind), drop ball everytime is as per the lotg, tho i suspect that many referees, especially at parks level which, let's face it, is the only place that you're probably going to encounter this, will go with the 'commonsense', albeit wrong in law, option of saying that they may simply award a goal kick, corner kick or throw-in depending on what happens before the ball strikes the overhanging branches, rather than a drop ball every time. No footballer or coach will ever argue against this (sm stats theory)

Game done and the ball stayed away from the tree!
Football is all about the what if so I did discuss it with both coaches and I told them, that although I was not sure what the correct ruling should be, I would always do a dropball if it hits the trees. Better to be wrong but consistent, I thought!

QUOTE="Jacko, post: 37360, member: 1207"]Yeah technically it's reckless but does Phil Dowd's match control need the caution?

Rose has just got up to run and celebrate. I think not cautioning was the right decision in this incident.[/QUOTE]

I haven't come across such a situation in my life time but I think as a referee you have to carry out a full pitch inspection in your pre match preparations. May be during that time, you can request the branches be cut. The referee has full authority to stop the match for, among other reasons, “outside interference of any kind” and he/she “indicates the restart of the match after it has been stopped.” This means that you will have to stop play every time the ball hits the branch and restart will be dropped ball. If a goalkeeper takes a goal kick and the ball comes off the branch, and before it has touched another player, goalkeeper handles it inside his penalty area, it will be IDFK.
Second option: Agree with both team before the start of the match that the branches will be part of the field. This will be the simplest solution.
Nice 1 Mi .....the next time I turn up at game with an overhanging tree I shall ask the manager to contact the clubs tree surgeon , get the cherry picker out and get those overhanging branches at least a metre away from the pitch ....that will probably work ;):eek:

QUOTE="Jacko, post: 37360, member: 1207"]Yeah technically it's reckless but does Phil Dowd's match control need the caution?

Rose has just got up to run and celebrate. I think not cautioning was the right decision in this incident.

Nice 1 Mi .....the next time I turn up at game with an overhanging tree I shall ask the manager to contact the clubs tree surgeon , get the cherry picker out and get those overhanging branches at least a metre away from the pitch ....that will probably work ;):eek:[/QUOTE]
You'll probably postpone that match hahahaha

Last post - you forgot to mention checking with the local council to ensure there was no tree preservation order in place, prior to arranging for the branches to be cut.

Back