The Ref Stop

Training at St Georges

RefJef

RefChat Addict
I just came across this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/get-inspired/46567415

Only a couple of minutes +, from BBC get inspired, but shows a snippet of refeee training at St George’s.

What I thought was a good idea was having the refs run/sprint, then watch a clip and make a decision whilst breathless, then repeat.

Not a long vid, but worth 3 mins of your time for background info if you can spare 180 seconds.

The Ref Stop
I just came across this:

Only a couple of minutes +, from BBC get inspired, but shows a snippet of refeee training at St George’s.

What I thought was a good idea was having the refs run/sprint, then watch a clip and make a decision whilst breathless, then repeat.

Not a long vid, but worth 3 mins of your time for background info if you can spare 180 seconds.
Rarely gets talked about, but it was immediately obvious to me once qualified, that fatigue is a major factor when making mistakes. The level 4 fitness test far exceeds the physical demands of a game imo, but the bar is set higher than necessary to avoid calamities caused by refs blowing out their bottoms 😪

I just came across this:

Did something similar at a training course.

A high intensity sprint drill and at the end we were asked a random question e.g. what is law 7 or a maths question or given a scenario and had to make a decison.

Was okay after 1 or 2 but 8 drills later it was getting a bit heavy.

Try converting pace in kph to minutes per mile whilst out running (and not running 10 minute miles.... or 5 minute miles if you're Mo Farah)

Honestly, people that do 3-4+ games a weekend amaze me - HOW you can stay mentally unfatigued the entire time is beyond me. This just exemplifies it.

I should add however, there's a lot of pressure on referees to take on extra games, so my comment was not a criticism (as i'm in the 'should I, shouldn't I boat')

The level 4 fitness test far exceeds the physical demands of a game imo, but the bar is set higher than necessary to avoid calamities caused by refs blowing out their bottoms 😪

I disagree, my heart rate went way higher during supply and contrib games than it ever did during the fitness tests. Even in my 40s I could breeze the fitness test even without training, but going into senior level football games without training and I would be in all kinds of problems and blowing out of my rear end.

I disagree, my heart rate went way higher during supply and contrib games than it ever did during the fitness tests. Even in my 40s I could breeze the fitness test even without training, but going into senior level football games without training and I would be in all kinds of problems and blowing out of my rear end.
I'll have to give the fitness test a shot. I'll get back to you!

Back