A&H

Trainee Ref advice

Leeso99

Hi,

I have recently completed the Laws of the game modules and booked myself onto a course in a couple of months time however I just want some advice on a couple of things

1. Issues with glasses - I am short sighted so not using glasses is a no go for me I am unable to use contacts so I was thinking of investing in sports goggles however I am unsure if I really need to this or if I could just ref with glasses on

2. Age of participants on course - I am slightly older (25) is the course going to be mostly full of young teenagers as I don’t want to be feeling out of place.

Apologies if these are silly questions!

A&H International
wear glasses - no issues at all
i did my course at 21 and was far from the oldest, i think you'll be surprised and won't feel out of place at all

I was 41 when I did my course and there were about 4/5 of us over 25, lots of youngsters but made no difference, I didn't feel out of place, I was there because I wanted to become a referee and despite the age range, enjoyed the course.

Ste

Conversely, I was 26 when I did my course and there was one guy older than me, the rest were all teenagers.
I wouldn't let that put you off though! It was still enjoyable and worthwhile without a doubt.

With regards to the glasses, at grassroots level it's absolutely no issue, just be aware that you will at some point get some smarmy comments from players about it unfortunately. Not right, but the reality of the situation.

Go for it though! One of the best things I ever did and I wish I'd done it sooner.

Agree with the above. Age is no issue - I trained when I was 42, so no teenager! I also wear glasses and it's not an issue. Yes, you get the odd comment, but it's rare, and you learn how to deal with these things through the way you more broadly conduct yourself and communicating in the right way.

Don't doubt yourself - go for it. As was said above, I wish I'd trained sooner, too.

Hi,

I have recently completed the Laws of the game modules and booked myself onto a course in a couple of months time however I just want some advice on a couple of things

1. Issues with glasses - I am short sighted so not using glasses is a no go for me I am unable to use contacts so I was thinking of investing in sports goggles however I am unsure if I really need to this or if I could just ref with glasses on

2. Age of participants on course - I am slightly older (25) is the course going to be mostly full of young teenagers as I don’t want to be feeling out of place.

Apologies if these are silly questions!
I did it 29 and there were the usual duke of Edinburgh crowd of under 16s. Then a 4/5 people aged 20-50. So you'll be fine mate.

Back