A&H

Junior/Youth Toughest game yet

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
Even though I have done some open-age football, I reckon that my game tomorrow will be my toughest yet. I was appointed late as the original referee pulled out, and frankly I was surprised I was given it. It is U16 (my own age group) and I have been told that the away team can be 'feisty'. They've already won the league so if I get problems I'm considering saying to them something along the lines of 'Look, you've already won the league, don't get yourself suspended for the rest of the season.' Would that work do you think?

The Referee Store
Say nothing before the game. If they've won the league already, being suspended will have no effect on their final league position anyway.

Just go out, go through your usual pre-match routine but make sure you everything you should such as enforcing Law 4 on equipment especially tape and ankle protectors. Start the game and keep it tight.

Say nothing before the game. If they've won the league already, being suspended will have no effect on their final league position anyway.

Just go out, go through your usual pre-match routine but make sure you everything you should such as enforcing Law 4 on equipment especially tape and ankle protectors. Start the game and keep it tight.
I wasn't going to say it to them before the game, just during if it starts to get heated, should I use it as a method of man-management?

i've used 'come on, guys, last five and you're 8-0 up, let's keep it friendly' kind of thing once or twice.

not sure i'd mention winning the league tho'

Last edited:
Not sure about card tolerance either - I don't want to be too lenient but equally I don't want to end up with every player in the book

Not worth it during the heat of the battle, they aren't going to listen. In a game with a high tempo, you need to consider how you are going to break up the pace. Usually you lower your tolerance level, increase your free kick count and work harder with the captains

What you are told or what you think you know about a team may be different from the reality of the situation. The usual open mind going in, just another game to ref, two teams wanting to play football. And as usual, if a team do test you out with their behaviour then Brian's advice above is the approach to take.

I have found on numerous occasions that my preconceived ideas about teams often prove to be completely false.

I have found on numerous occasions that my preconceived ideas about teams often prove to be completely false.
As it happened they weren't too bad. Even though they had won the league they were beaten comfortably 4-0, and just a couple of cautions towards the end for bad tackles which were out of frustration.

Back