A&H

Tough U16 Match

Kind of agree with that, except Id say that if you have lost control of the game you are very unlikely to get it back under control. I use my own experience in this, but also from watching games and observing, I don't think I've ever seen a referee regain control after they have lost it.

What you say works if you are losing control. Cautions, soft free kicks, not playing advantage, can help when you are losing control, but generally once it is gone it is gone, you aren't getting it back.

100%, if the games lost, your bet hope is damage limitation, and, a lot of luck

The Referee Store
100%, if the games lost, your bet hope is damage limitation, and, a lot of luck
It is a truly, truly horrible experience when you know you have lost control. Its only happened to me a couple of times, but what I found is the harder I tried to get it back under control the worse it got. You will certainly know when that has happened as you want the ground to open up and swallow you to get you out of the utter mess than you have found yourself in. My first was as a new L4 where the observer spent over an hour with me after (an EFL referee who I owe a huge amount to as his advice and support was invaluable) and the second as an L3 in front of a crowd of over 1000 where thankfully there was no observer (although the crowd certainly gave me their opinion of my performance). Both times were evening games after a difficult day at work, the second one I'd been put at risk of redundancy 10 minutes before leaving the office for the game, in fact all of my questionable performances have come in evening games. If you were an Isthmian or Southern league club in the South East of England you really wanted me appointed to your games on a Saturday ... 😂

It is a truly, truly horrible experience when you know you have lost control. Its only happened to me a couple of times, but what I found is the harder I tried to get it back under control the worse it got. You will certainly know when that has happened as you want the ground to open up and swallow you to get you out of the utter mess than you have found yourself in. My first was as a new L4 where the observer spent over an hour with me after (an EFL referee who I owe a huge amount to as his advice and support was invaluable) and the second as an L3 in front of a crowd of over 1000 where thankfully there was no observer (although the crowd certainly gave me their opinion of my performance). Both times were evening games after a difficult day at work, the second one I'd been put at risk of redundancy 10 minutes before leaving the office for the game, in fact all of my questionable performances have come in evening games. If you were an Isthmian or Southern league club in the South East of England you really wanted me appointed to your games on a Saturday ... 😂

There is another thread running, re, injury time.
in the ganes we lose control, we be doing well get to 45, nevermind one second after it

it is truly horroble, the players, coaches, fans if relevent, they know, you know, really the best you can do is just hold hands up, guys, i was not at my best today.

I’m not giving players the benefit of the doubt in the first ten minutes. Set the tone, if it’s reckless it’s a yellow. If it’s cynical it’s a yellow. Slow it right down. Let them know you aren’t gonna get played. Because in the first ten minutes some teams will try to test and play the ref. Anyone doesn’t like your decision and displays that vocally, sin bin.
Easy for me to type out here, I appreciate it’s harder to put into practise. If it’s any comfort I also got chewed up and spat out to some extent this weekend.

😁 This is easily my favourite post out of all the things you've written on here!
TBF, there's not many posts from his various alter-ego accounts of much quality, so I'd go along with your statement :bag:
Apart from when he talks about NUFC. Those posts are good fun

Chin up mate we all have games where we feel or even know we have not been at our best. Go again next time out having gained more experience from this game.

Take no such notice from so called managers of junior teams who pass stupid comments like that, some of them shouldn't be anywhere near u16 football at all.

Rowanmano

refereeing isn’t easy, you keep doing what your doing, always positive to self reflect but as referees we always do what we think is right at the time. We may make mistakes but so do players and coaches but they don’t get vilified for it. Every game is a learning curve and more experience. Keep going my friend

Really tough match today. Reffed home team before and no real issues, game kicks off late tackle within the first 10 seconds from away side which already made me think it was gonna be a tough game. After 3 or 4 tactical fouls from away team in the first ten mins I warn the captain next player who commits a similar foul will be cautioned. 10 seconds later one of his teammates does exactly that and gets himself booked. A few mins later first booking for home side for late tackle, manager not pleased as was first proper foul but felt I needed to set a precedent or could become messy. Then a poor PK decision from me was detached from play and didn’t have an angle thought he’d taken the man then the ball but saw it back after the match was an awful decision. About 5 mins left before HT another two yellows in quick succession for borderline challenges. Got to half time neither side were pleased one side said I was too lenient and was putting player safety at risk other team were complaining about the pen and saying I was too harsh with cards. Second half was a bit easier with only two more yellows both for late tackles and a bit of a confrontation at the end about a challenge by the corner flag. Neither manager pleased with me and both said I wasn’t up to reffing U16 as was too weak. Felt as though that was harsh and was really hard to find a balance between showing 10-15 cards which tbh I could have done and trying to maintain player safety. Interested on what people think in terms of when to manage situations and whether or not it’s better to show 10-15 cards at youth level if it maintains your match control, also trying to work out if it was down to me why the game went how it did( I know it’s probs hard to say unless u were there) or whether it was just the players.
Are you a young referee or do you look pretty young? This seems to set the players and coaches off because they think they can intimidate you but stand your ground and don't have it.

Then a poor PK decision from me was detached from play and didn’t have an angle thought he’d taken the man then the ball but saw it back after the match was an awful decision

But you gave what you saw,or thought you saw so dont beat yourself up over that.My one criticism is that if I am not sure or dont see it I wont give it. You can't give what you see and it's healthy to have a bit of scepticism in a game like this by not trusting the player's reaction but trust your eyes,even if you dont see it just dont give it.

Back