A&H

Tough game today

Ref1995

So turn up to the game today all seems well. Game starts few fouls that were argued but nothing of note. Get to the 20th minute when an orange player (4) tackles a blue player (10) so I follow play then here shout from the orange bench turn to see the orange player pushing the blue player and the blue player retaliated. Orange manager accuses blue player of a headbutt which I didn't see I cautioned both players. I could tell the orange player was quite angry. 4 minutes later the orange player was tackled but kicked out and push a blue player(14) I show him his second yellow and red card. He then slaps the cards out of my hands and push me in the stomach. Game is then heated until half time but no more cards. The orange manager comes up to me at half time asking why I missed the headbutt. i explained that I had followed the ball he then tried to explain that he thought I should have been in a different position.

Second half much less intense still orange argue every decision but become more relaxed. 70th minute blue captain fouls orange left back it was late and very hard so I cautioned. Then in the 85th he was fouled but nothing in it he decided it would be a good idea to get up push the orange player and move his head towards him so another second yellow and red for him. No arguments.

End of the match no arguments from either team so was ok with the match.

Have put the orange player in as a separate misconduct report as well lets hope for a big fine and ban for him

The Referee Store
Another assault on a match official, far too many happening recently. Firstly I hope you are okay and I hope the offender recieves a long ban. Personally, its not happened yet thankfully but if I was to ever get assaulted in any way I would blow up and go home. I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do but I don't think I could continue.

Just a few points to consider........not saying you did anything wrong, but just a slightly different perspective.....

Kick out in retaliation....straight red?
Assaulting a match official......abandonment?
Attempted headbutt......straight red?

As for following play.....with experience you will learn to develop the 'trailing eye'....which is where you are half watching play and half watching for any afters from a challenge.......it's not easy and it's a natural instinct to follow the ball so don't beat yourself up over it. Just try and keep an eye on the players following a hefty challenge.....

Wise words from Padfoot. Please always be aware of what constitutes a yellow/red card. As you gain more experience you will find that in certain situations a warning bell goes off in your head, and you will keep an eye on a situation. But you cannot have eyes in the back of your head and will miss things.

Any assault on a match official is unacceptable. He will get a long break from the game and deservedly so. In Leicestershire if an official is assaulted then aside from the report the referee is advised to contact the referees co-ordinator as soon as possible, and also the league in which the match was played. They will then be aware of what happened, and will start putting the wheels in motion. A couple of years back a player in a Sunday morning game assaulted the referee, the referee phoned the league secretary after the game and the league suspended that players registration with immediate effect.

Last edited:
Hope you're ok. Sounds like you did well. Can't punish what you don't see.

In terms of the push on your stomach... Firstly Jesus Christ this season has had more assaults than I can remember.... Its disgusting....

And most importantly in future... PLEASE abandon the match. Don't let players think they can play football if they assault us. This is getting so out of hand it makes me extremely upset.

I hope you're OK mate.

Just a few points to consider........not saying you did anything wrong, but just a slightly different perspective.....

Kick out in retaliation....straight red?
Assaulting a match official......abandonment?
Attempted headbutt......straight red?

As for following play.....with experience you will learn to develop the 'trailing eye'....which is where you are half watching play and half watching for any afters from a challenge.......it's not easy and it's a natural instinct to follow the ball so don't beat yourself up over it. Just try and keep an eye on the players following a hefty challenge.....

One of those you had to be there to appreciate the situation. I didn't consider it enough to abandon. see why would be straight reds but instinct just meant i went straight for my pocket with a second yellow in hindsight attempted headbutt was a straight red but the kick out was more of a trip

Thankfully you seem alright but I feel you were behind from the very first major incident. I'm in complete agreement with Padfoot and feel you got a few things wrong. Players body language and behaviour are also good barometers of any incident if you miss it. The way you describe the pushing sounds as if you could have dismissed both for violent conduct.

But the most important thing I can impress on you is NEVER carry on if a player puts his hands on you in an agressive manner.

Know this could go down as thread from the dead but just got fixtures for november and have been appointed to do the orange team. I'm more than happy to do it look on the suspensions list and the lads 242 day suspension ends 1 day before the fixture but also says he's sine die should I refuse to ref if hes on the pitch on that basis or just go ahead with it and report after?

Go ahead as normal. Only report it if it is not his name on the team sheet, otherwise let the powers that be do their business.

Sorry to hear about your match, sounds like it was pretty nasty. Have a think about what may have kicked all this off - was it the first incident you described, or was there something earlier in the match, something minor which you overlooked? What was your Moment of Truth?

1) Were there any indicators that this would result in aggression? Previous conflict between the 2 players? Was it a heavy or slightly late challenge? If so, try to position yourself where you have players still tangled up in your peripheral vision to try and catch these sorts of incidents. It can be difficult. Sounds like a yellow each was fair, given you couldn't see the headbutt. We can't tell how much aggression was involved, whether it should have been a straight red

2) With others here, after a player slaps the cards out of your hand and pushes you, I can't imagine a reason to keep playing.

Everything else sounds reasonable. The 'moving head towards him'.....was that a possible attempted headbutt? If so that would be a straight red.

Back