A&H

Open Age Tough first game back. Losing desire?

Spireross

I had my first game back after 2 years today (Torn calf then complications from this). Anyway it was a Sunday league game and after pre-match breifings etc. the game got underway. First half went okay (Couple of cautions for foul tackles) Up until 5 minutes from the end of the half when i disallowed a goal for the home team (they were 2-1 up at this point). I gave the goal at first then was called over by the CAR who was from the home team to say his striker had fouled the defender, fair enough goal disallowed, free kick. Half time came and there were a few questions asked. Within 5 minutes of the restart the home team we're down to 10, a player took exception to being cautioned for kicking the ball away and decided to launch a tirade of expletives my way. Then 15 minutes later with the score now at 3-1 a player from the away team was send off for a 2nd yellow, again kicking the ball away. As you can tell at this point i'm not very well liked.

The away team pulled it back to 3-2 both with 10 men and in the 90th minute away team striker through on goal, tripped by the defender, penalty and red for DOGSO, of course to this i was then surrounded by the home team protesting then over to the attacker claiming he dived. From this a home team player tried to headbutt the attacker, once again out came the red. Penalty scored 3-3. Cue full time, the second the whistle was blown i was surrounded by the home team and was subject to numerous threats, i have never in my life felt so alone and personally so scared. In the end it took the captain to pull everyone back and i made my escape.

It's felt me with many questions about myself and made me wonder why i should do this anymore? I've always had desire to referee but when it come to things like this and the fact i'm giving up a shift at work to do these games i just wonder is it worth it?

The Referee Store
How did the home team CAR get to be up with their striker? Presumably he should have been running with their left back?

I would never rule a goal out on advice from a CAR unless it was for offside....especially not if I've already given it....

As for the rest of it.....you just have to give what you see and realise that not every week will be like that.

Away team had no subs so had 2 CAR's from the home team, I trusted him as it was against his team and he said to them that it was a foul. Admittedly my view was partially blocked by another player.

It just frustrates me as i had to have 3 operations to repair my calf to get back here, just hope next weeks a bit easier!

Sorry to hear about this.

First of all welcome back to refereeing. Second of all don't let all the hard work you've put in to get back to fitness be ruined by this one back experience.

The route to success and the goals we set ourselves is never a straight line. Far from it. Experiences like yesterday in a weird way will make you a better referee.

As for the game. There are plenty of experienced referees on here who could offer advice on how things could of been done differently, but the important thing to remember is you got through a difficult game at level 7 on your own. We weren't there but things like kicking the ball away. How far? Did they really delay the restart? Could you of got away without cautioning and made better use of the captain's in the first instance?

Are you in a RA? There are plenty of referees near you that should be willing to help.

The first game back after such a long lay off was always going to be a challenge, sorry you had such a difficult one. I know it's hard but try not to let it get you down, not every game will be like this. Go over your performance. Were you happy with your decisions and performance? If so, take confidence from this. If not, think of 2-3 things you might concentrate on improving next time. Go out next week and give them your best game.

I just wonder is it worth it?
Of course it is otherwise you wouldn't have fought back from such a serious injury. You got off on the wrong foot, the game didn't go to plan, it will get easier. Don't be disheartened or discouraged. Who's to say that game would have been any different if it had been before your injury?

Get back out there next week and take no prisoners :)

I think there is a middle ground between diving back in at the deep end (after a "near drowning") and giving up altogether.

Why not ease yourself back in gently?

If you're not bothered about immediate promotion (or at all?) confine yourself to youth/ladies games perhaps?

I'm not interested in open age (never have been) but receive AR appts for 3 ladies clubs (Inc QPR), also do lines at Brentford and Barnet academies, Ryman U18 and U21 as well as middles for my local youth league.

My first game back on Sunday (after 8 month injury lay off) was AR on Womens FA Cup 1Q, went to extra time in warm sunshine but very enjoyable - I do it for enjoyment, its not my job, if you don't enjoy it, no point doing it IMHO, but there are alternatives to giving it up completely.

Sorry to hear about this.

First of all welcome back to refereeing. Second of all don't let all the hard work you've put in to get back to fitness be ruined by this one back experience.

The route to success and the goals we set ourselves is never a straight line. Far from it. Experiences like yesterday in a weird way will make you a better referee.

As for the game. There are plenty of experienced referees on here who could offer advice on how things could of been done differently, but the important thing to remember is you got through a difficult game at level 7 on your own. We weren't there but things like kicking the ball away. How far? Did they really delay the restart? Could you of got away without cautioning and made better use of the captain's in the first instance?

Are you in a RA? There are plenty of referees near you that should be willing to help.
They were both kicked out of the ground in frustration so quite the distance, and I'm part of Chesterfields RA but it's no very active like most things here.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, i don't want to give in after the first sign of trouble. I think i may email my RA and ask about a mentor see if they can spot anything for my to work on.

They were both kicked out of the ground in frustration so quite the distance, and I'm part of Chesterfields RA but it's no very active like most things here.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, i don't want to give in after the first sign of trouble. I think i may email my RA and ask about a mentor see if they can spot anything for my to work on.
Get up to Sheffield and sign up with their RA. Very active, helpful and based south of the city.

http://sheffieldra.co.uk/

Last edited:
Back