A&H

tottenham v norwich penalties

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I thought if the keeper came off of the line early and the penalty is not scored it is taken again?

At least four times i made it.

The Referee Store
I thought if the keeper came off of the line early and the penalty is not scored it is taken again?

At least four times i made it.

Don't expect EPL referees to be enforcing laws like that mate. :rolleyes: It's just not cricket. ;)

Don't expect EPL referees to be enforcing laws like that mate. :rolleyes: It's just not cricket. ;)

I keep being told it's a different game up there to our level.
I agree, to a degree, in terms of fitness, ability, thinking etc, but the laws are still the same.
Other countries seem to be able to enforce the laws but ours up in the top don't.
And they wonder why refs quit lower down when they try to enforce the laws and get abused.
It's a joke really.

I keep being told it's a different game up there to our level.
I agree, to a degree, in terms of fitness, ability, thinking etc, but the laws are still the same.
Other countries seem to be able to enforce the laws but ours up in the top don't.
And they wonder why refs quit lower down when they try to enforce the laws and get abused.
It's a joke really.

When there's TV, merchandising and mega-bucks involved mate, refereeing is much more of a popularity contest.

Every now and again some referee will enforce one of the laws that has hitherto been mostly ignored by both them and their peers and it'll be "controversial". :rolleyes: :wtf:

We do get a strange dichotomy on this: in some professional games, including international play, we get VAR sanctioning this to the millimeter, and in other professional games, not even blatant offenses get called.

If only Dier was as good as defending his brother than his own teams defending on the pitch!

Contrary to the rest of the world, the EPL does not permit the use of VAR for GK encroachment. As I recall, they said they wanted the AR to flag violations, but did not want the micro enforcement we've seen in some competitions.
Yet they go with the micro enforcement (literally) for offside with imaginary lines they draw on a sceen, of which accuracy is not proven.

At least with goalkeeper encroachment the reference line is real and drawn on the ground.

Yet they go with the micro enforcement (literally) for offside with imaginary lines they draw on a sceen, of which accuracy is not proven.

At least with goalkeeper encroachment the reference line is real and drawn on the ground.
Spot on ONE, it's the simplest / quickest / objective call for VAR, so why not use it?
Keepers would soon adapt.
LOTG applied correctly.
Example set for lower tier football.
A + mark for VAR.
Where's the downside?

But we don't want offside or GK encroachment to be policed to the mm
Therein rests one of the problems with VAR

Where's the downside?

Penalising the gk for marginal infringements by tiny distances. Making the process slow and painful to watch and giving great uncertainty over the outcome of a kick until the VAR review.

Attackers already have the advantage in a penalty kick.

Referee and their ARs should already be able to see and stop blatant off the line movement.

Referee and their ARs should already be able to see and stop blatant off the line movement.

Problem is, they weren't calling it. That's why they made it a VAR issue. The far better solution, IMO, would have been to tell the ARs at the WC that they were expected to call it, and if they didn't they should expect a plane trip home. And tell the teams the expectation. And get rid of the really stupid caution, which raises the stakes for calling it. (That was really the dumbest amendment to the Laws--IFAB wanted it called more, and added a provision that created a disincentive for refs to call it. And they won't back away from it.)

There's no doubt the assistant saw the infringements. Unfortunately (in England anyway) it is an issue of don't bring unnessesary attention to yourself. Numerous times I have had pre-matches from referees that say 'there will be no retakes on penalties, don't put your flag up' - this is quite normal.

In this instance, the assistant getting involved and the goalkeeper being cautioned and possibly sent off would direct all attention to the officials, it would be in the news etc. Instead, they let it go, a few Spurs fans complain and everyone forgets a week later. Is that how to apply law? No. Does that help grassroots officials? No.

The use of VAR to penalise this at the WWC wasn't well received.

I've no idea in theory with the PL saying they'll leave it to the on-field officials to penalise. The problem is that no on-field officials have penalised it! (and I bet they haven't been penalised for missing it.)

It should be something that assistants are actively encouraged to flag - that way, you're still dealing with offences obvious enough for a human to detect them at real speed and you're not having to wait as long for VAR to intervene.

Back