A&H

Total referees in UK

Kref

Does anyone know the figure for this as I keep seeing its around like 30k of different levels. But anytime I click on an article they don't really mention any other info like the distribution between levels or anything like that. And what are your thought with the current about the referees leaving the game? As I swear every weekend I hear people talking about how there aren't enough referee and how its just going to keep getting worse with the current environment for referees.

In response to my point above, I mean we all know there isn't enough of us out there but it just seems to keep getting worse. Especially with statistics like this: 1648545960990.png
Or about how the amount of youth referees leaving isn't enough to keep up with the amount leaving:
I couldn't find the statistic but it was something like 75% of youth referees stop after a year and don't come back for a second season. And only like 20% stay one for 2 or more seasons.

A&H International
At a L4 seminar a few years ago, we were told that L4 and above consist of roughly 1000 referees

At a L4 seminar a few years ago, we were told that L4 and above consist of roughly 1000 referees
That seems like so few when you think of how many games there are in the country. I feel like the distrubution will be like a pyramind for the amount of referees

That seems like so few when you think of how many games there are in the country. I feel like the distrubution will be like a pyramind for the amount of referees

It absolutely is like a pyramid. From memory I think there are around 1000 L4s, 300 ish L3s, and so on.

According to the FA there are around 28,000 referees at all levels, with around 4,000 new qualifiers each season.

It absolutely is like a pyramid. From memory I think there are around 1000 L4s, 300 ish L3s, and so on.

According to the FA there are around 28,000 referees at all levels, with around 4,000 new qualifiers each season.
I'd presume we'd expect the same amount to leave and join every season. If has only really been more in recent years due to the covid situation. But it makes you think if there are only a 1000 L4s then everyone of the 51 clubs should have 20 L4s but its definitely alot less or more than that number. As certain counties have a greater density of population in them. Like for example in my county Fa for this season as home county fa we have 4-6 L4s (can't remember exactly) but then if we compare to that down south where county fa's have like 50 we can see the difference. And even at that when you hit L4 you are managed by the main FA instead of the countys.

I'd presume we'd expect the same amount to leave and join every season. If has only really been more in recent years due to the covid situation. But it makes you think if there are only a 1000 L4s then everyone of the 51 clubs should have 20 L4s but its definitely alot less or more than that number. As certain counties have a greater density of population in them. Like for example in my county Fa for this season as home county fa we have 4-6 L4s (can't remember exactly) but then if we compare to that down south where county fa's have like 50 we can see the difference. And even at that when you hit L4 you are managed by the main FA instead of the countys.
Thing to remember is that at L4 and (the majority of) L3, a big part of the officials' role is to act as an AR. A typical month for a Level 4 might consist of 1 or 2 middles and 3 to 4 lines. Factor in a standard absence rate on any particular match day of at least 25% (holiday, personal, injury etc) and the maths looks very different.

The FA are totally aware of how many L4+ they need and the need for a helpful geographic spread. That's why we saw mid season promotions this time around and why the process from 5 to 4 is that counties nominate suitable candidates but the FA make the final choice about who and how many in each part of the country

The number of Level 4's in any county is dictated by the number needed in the catchment area (which may or may not be fully within the county) and the number of 5>4 candidates successful in a season. Larger counties with strong Supply Leagues locally will obviously need far more than a smaller county.
In my home county (Hampshire) our Level 4's work in the Wessex League, which can cover Wiltshire, Dorset, Hampshire, Surrey, Berks & Bucks, Royal Navy, and the Isle of Wight.
They are also appointed as AR's on the Southern League and the Isthmian League, which broadens their travel area considerably, including Sussex, London, Devon, etc.

Back