A&H

Tony Chapron suspended for 3 months

The Referee Store
I suspect it would be a backroom deal for him to go out on a good note. If it was just a moment of madness, he still has a lot to contribute in the background after he retires.

I suspect it would be a backroom deal for him to go out on a good note. If it was just a moment of madness, he still has a lot to contribute in the background after he retires.
Looking back over his history, I have some doubts over whether he has that much to contribute. Based on his previous reported behaviour, I'm not so sure it was just an isolated moment of madness. Looking at various French language publications, he appears to have some serious 'form' - including his previous suspension for misconduct and the numerous allegations of him swearing at and abusing players on the field.

I think it may reveal something about his character that one of his more famous on-field spats with players came when he refused to give Zlatan Ibrahimovic the match ball at the end of the game after the Swede had scored a hat trick, apparently to show that he (Chapron) was in charge, not some player.

According to accounts published in the French media, Chapron said he would give Ibrahimovic the ball later but in the end he would only give it to a team mate of Ibrahimovic, having continued to refuse to give it to the PSG striker even after they had left the field.

Fair enough. It surprises me that he managed to get to such high level of refereeing with that sort of attitude.

If a player kicks out they get a 3 match ban.....
cant condone what happened but when was the last player banned for 6 months and what did he do?
Surely we're entitled to expect a better standard of behaviour from referees than from players? Or are you somehow suggesting that there should be a moral equivalence which would then make it acceptable for referees to sink to the same execrable levels that we see from players?

We all know its wrong Peter, even the ref himself admitted so, no problem with a short ban, some education, who knows, but to effectively stop a man earning money for 6 month is very harsh!! He may have a family and commitments too!!!

If you do somethimg that your job is to prevent, the penalty shoud be much harsher.
If a judge or a cop does something corrupt they loose their job all together.
For me it's all about expectations.

If you do somethimg that your job is to prevent, the penalty shoud be much harsher.
If a judge or a cop does something corrupt they loose their job all together.
For me it's all about expectations.
Your expectations apparently!!! Others may have had differing expectations!!! Thats called debate Peter!!!

Not if they kick out at a referee! Punishments for offences by officials against players should be as severe as for players against officials...

That very much depends on which CFA is dealing with the case, how many "witnesses" the player can provide and who is involved with the players cliub.......

Anyhow.....referees are human too. With the same frailties and imperfections as players.......but should be striving much harder to overcome them on the pitch.
If it was an isolated incident for someone with a previously unblemished record you could argue for a more lenient sanction.....however if it is someone who has previous for such things, maybe a much harsher sanction is justified?

Back