A&H

Time Wasting

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
It is linked to no specific game, but it occurs much more towards the end of the season than the beginning and its being seen much more in the TV games I've been watching whilst isolating.

Time Wasting.

The game I am watching now, a free kick was given to the losing team midway through the attacking half, and the leading team team ran with the ball after the whistle was blown for a second or two, and then proceeded to kick the ball away from the nearest player about 20 yards. This was the 47th minute, give or take a minute or two.
I've seen this action many times in recent games and nothing gets done about it.
In fact, the only casualties this seems to affect are the keepers at goal kicks, who tend to only get penalised, if they do at all, in the 90th minute. This is despite it happening from much much earlier and not even a "hurry up" from the officials.

I saw a game midweek where a throw in, WITHIN the first minute of the first half, took 35 seconds to be taken AFTER he picked the ball up. Now, I don't want a card here for that but at least a "you're taking the pee here, speed it up", or at least take note that the game is being slowed down heavily. The keeper took his time at many a goal kicks and wasn't signalled until the 88th minute to speed it up.

Even standing on the ball when a free kick is given, and seeing the referee blow his whistle to move them on, shout to move them on, they don't or they do so slowly.

It is really frustrating watching players kicking the ball away, and some distance, and getting away with it.

The Referee Store
It is linked to no specific game, but it occurs much more towards the end of the season than the beginning and its being seen much more in the TV games I've been watching whilst isolating.

Time Wasting.

The game I am watching now, a free kick was given to the losing team midway through the attacking half, and the leading team team ran with the ball after the whistle was blown for a second or two, and then proceeded to kick the ball away from the nearest player about 20 yards. This was the 47th minute, give or take a minute or two.
I've seen this action many times in recent games and nothing gets done about it.
In fact, the only casualties this seems to affect are the keepers at goal kicks, who tend to only get penalised, if they do at all, in the 90th minute. This is despite it happening from much much earlier and not even a "hurry up" from the officials.

I saw a game midweek where a throw in, WITHIN the first minute of the first half, took 35 seconds to be taken AFTER he picked the ball up. Now, I don't want a card here for that but at least a "you're taking the pee here, speed it up", or at least take note that the game is being slowed down heavily. The keeper took his time at many a goal kicks and wasn't signalled until the 88th minute to speed it up.

Even standing on the ball when a free kick is given, and seeing the referee blow his whistle to move them on, shout to move them on, they don't or they do so slowly.

It is really frustrating watching players kicking the ball away, and some distance, and getting away with it.
60 minute timed games inevitable. Refereeing to blame

60 minute timed games inevitable. Refereeing to blame
I agree. It needs something.
I've been known to caution in games, even in first half, that I've overheard team talks whwre players have said don't do anything silly, leave the ball etc.
I can understand if it's on the run and a second after I've blown, but when you've had time to stop and leave it, or have stopped it and then toe pocked it away, that's when I say nah, what's your name.

Looks like the team I didn't mention, but you will now know, continued their slow tactics yesterday.

I get long throws are in the game, and a good weapon, but I really do understand where the Stoke manager is coming from.
As I said, their midweek game just gone, they took 35 seconds from picking the ball up to actually throwing it, in the first minute of the game.
Maybe they should introduce a time limit of how long a throw in is to be taken once gone out/game stopped. Sounds a stupid idea, but something needs to be done by teams taking the pee. He claimed the RB was coming to take throws in the far left side of the pitch, this will clearly take time, as well as "preparing" for it. How much time does this lose in a match? A minute? 10 throws = 10 minutes.
Maybe award throw in the other direction to counter it, and if the opposition are using delay tactics (kicking ball away, holding ball, getting in the way etc) then caution the attacker. Like with Goal Kicks, they have to get out of the area and they do so 99% of the time.
If you're not reversing the direction of the throw, mandatory caution if time hits, say 30 seconds, from time its gone out. A professional player should know how to take a throw in. Most of the time its the full backs taking them and they are in close proximity of the throws anyway. The professional leagues all use multi-ball these days so having to run miles to get the ball should be out of the equation to.

Did anyone see the European player get cautioned after having the ball thrown at him by a ball boy during the week. This is a PRIME example of time wasting and why something like this should be mandatory and not discretionary.

Did anyone see the European player get cautioned after having the ball thrown at him by a ball boy during the week. This is a PRIME example of time wasting and why something like this should be mandatory and not discretionary.

got exactly what he deserved the cheating little *@?!*

time wasting absolutely grinds my gears and i hate it that it's almost accepted as part of the game

And how often do we see IFAB change the laws because referees fail in the application. Goalkeeper encroachment anyone?

Yeah, and those changes really worked. :rolleyes: Twice they softened the rule in the hopes more refs would enforce it. And they made it a mandatory caution that didn't help, just made refs less likely to call it. It wasn't the law changes that changed much--it was the expectations given to the refs to call it--and using VAR.

Any top league can solve this problem simply by communicating to the refs that they want time wasting enforced and will back the refs if they do it. A few cards (after warnings) at the start of the season and the culture changes. But absent that, yes, we may get a 10 second or 20 second rule--which refs won't enforce any more than they enforce 6 seconds . . .

Yeah, and those changes really worked. :rolleyes: Twice they softened the rule in the hopes more refs would enforce it. And they made it a mandatory caution that didn't help, just made refs less likely to call it. It wasn't the law changes that changed much--it was the expectations given to the refs to call it--and using VAR.

Any top league can solve this problem simply by communicating to the refs that they want time wasting enforced and will back the refs if they do it. A few cards (after warnings) at the start of the season and the culture changes. But absent that, yes, we may get a 10 second or 20 second rule--which refs won't enforce any more than they enforce 6 seconds . . .
Only issue with starting it at the start of the season is that teams are less needing to waste time for points than the end of the season.

Only issue with starting it at the start of the season is that teams are less needing to waste time for points than the end of the season.

The point of starting at the start of the season is to change expectations--and to do so when the consequences are less severe.* If teams do stupid things after being taught there are consequences for it, then they get penalized for it in the later games. It can't be what sometimes happens where refs are told to be strict for a couple of weeks and then everything backslides to the way it was.

______
*Well, less obviously severe. A loss in the third game of the season costs as many points as a loss in the last week of the season. It just doesn't feel that way.

got exactly what he deserved the cheating little *@?!*

time wasting absolutely grinds my gears and i hate it that it's almost accepted as part of the game

We've gone way past the almost accepted part, it is absolutely accepted.

Last night for any PSG goal kicks or defensive free kicks the ref would blow his whistle to try to get the keeper to even get himself ready to take it, then he waves his arm to the keeper, then he does it for the final time and it's kicked. Refs also avoid looking at the kicker for quite a while because they know its happening and want to delay getting involved. It's ridiculous that it is accepted but it is. Just bring in the stop clock like American sports. Ironically it will probably be Amerixan broadcasters who ensure that the MLS bring this in first

Have to agree with Ladbroke, its endemic in the Championship now.

Its not just time wasting in that sense either, players delay the restart so their team can get set.

A quick fk has become an impossibility now.

It's used as the norm now. Recent game (Championship), player picks up the ball runs away from the oppo player waiting to take the throw, giving the referee a volley of abuse as he does so, referee tells him to release the ball, he throws it back - at last - with yet another moan at the referee and on we go!:rolleyes:

We've gone way past the almost accepted part, it is absolutely accepted.

Last night for any PSG goal kicks or defensive free kicks the ref would blow his whistle to try to get the keeper to even get himself ready to take it, then he waves his arm to the keeper, then he does it for the final time and it's kicked. Refs also avoid looking at the kicker for quite a while because they know its happening and want to delay getting involved. It's ridiculous that it is accepted but it is. Just bring in the stop clock like American sports. Ironically it will probably be Amerixan broadcasters who ensure that the MLS bring this in first

the first thing that caught my eye here was very early on, maybe in the first 5 mins. PSG got a free kick towards their corner flag, defender set up to take it then out of nowhere he leaves it for the keeper, wastes a good 30 odd seconds in total and not a hint of a hurry up from the officials.

Most accepted time wasting rule is the GK 6 seconds to have the ball in his hands.

I've seen it in games where a GK has had it for 20+ seconds.

During my games I can 100% say I've been guilty of allowing them longer than 6 seconds but can anyone say they haven't?

Most accepted time wasting rule is the GK 6 seconds to have the ball in his hands.

I've seen it in games where a GK has had it for 20+ seconds.

During my games I can 100% say I've been guilty of allowing them longer than 6 seconds but can anyone say they haven't?

Never called it, and doubt I ever will. The Laws always had a provision prohibiting the GK from taking an unreasonable amount of time with the ball. the 6 seconds came in to help define that--but I don't think it was ever intended to be exactly 6 seconds. I'll tell GKs "Let's go" after 5-6 seconds, and I've never had a GK not release the ball pretty quickly after that.

This is another thing that can only get fixed by a real effort at the start of the season (or with notice before the WC stops in order to change the culture). Tell the WC teams that the ref will give a warning before calling it, and if the ball isn't released 3 seconds after the warning the referees are instructed to call the offense. Give the R's a visible signal that goes with the warning--arm straight up would do it. Tell the refs to give the warning and signal after 6 seconds. And support them when they call it. The behavior will change. Again, as with other things, the powers that be have to be willing to accept the pain that goes with the enforcement to make it work.

(Aside: another possibility to make enforcement more palatable would be to change the sanction to a CK instead of a FK. That would take away the dread of the inside the PA IFK and the difficulty of managing it.)

Watching the Arsenal v Fulham game.

Keeper cautioned after 91 minutes for "time wasting".
Yet in the 15 minutes prior there has been subtle kicks of the ball away unpunished.
After caution, like most keepers, he saves and catches the ball comfortably and then jumps to the floor and basically waits there until all players are out of the area. Takes about 40 seconds to release. Wasting yet more time.

Back