A&H

Time wasting at throw in

micky2001

I've noticed increasingly a number of players taking their time with throw ins.
The majority of the time it is because they don't have a player in a suitable position to throw it to. Apart from telling them to hurry up can you do anything, like change the direction of the throw, or just a yellow for delaying restart? And how long do you reckon before you take action?

The Referee Store
All depends on the situation, time of the match etc. You just get a feel when a team is deliberately winding the clock down in a winning position. Throw-ins that take 20 seconds in the 89th minute are the same as those that take 20 seconds in the fifth though, so don't get sucked into that closing-stage whinging from a losing team. I tend to hover a hand over the watch to be honest.

"Speed it up fellas"
"Let's go then, thrower"
[short peep]
[double peep, stop watch, caution player with ball, blast to restart]

I've noticed increasingly a number of players taking their time with throw ins.
The majority of the time it is because they don't have a player in a suitable position to throw it to. Apart from telling them to hurry up can you do anything, like change the direction of the throw, or just a yellow for delaying restart? And how long do you reckon before you take action?
You cannot change the throw direction but you can caution the player for delaying the restart. I will usually wait about 6 seconds before telling him anything at all (unless it is an obvious tactic to waste time) and will give him a few warnings before booking him. All-in-all, 10 seconds.

Back